I have a couple of questions about testing.

Aug 21, 2014
North Alabama
When I was doing the FC test, it became pinker the longer it sat there. Is the determination of pink - ness supposed to be immediate, or wait like 30 seconds?

And, when Slamming, do you try to maintain the initial shock FC throughout, checking only FC, or are you adjusting with new FC and CYA levels each time?

Thanks ahead!

The sample will turn pink right away when you add the correct amount of powder (one heaping scoop, or two level scoops).

When SLAMing, you first adjust your pH to the appropriate level. Then you initially raise FC to the target value. The target value is based on your measured CYA level.

After you raise FC to the target value, you check periodically and add chlorine as required to MAINTAIN your FC at the target value until you pass the criteria to stop the SLAM.

After you test a lot, you'll get to the point you know whether or not you have enough FC the instant the powder hits the water. But for now, just make sure you have it stirred really well before you start adding the drops.

No kidding, I can get my 10ml sample of water, and when the powder hits (I use my SpeedStir for this) I know immediately if I am low. "oh ****" usually goes through my head at that point. :)

You should not let the FAS-DPD sit around. Add the powder mix it in, Count the FC drops, add the CC reagent, count the CC drops. Done. If you leave it sit it will turn back to pink (this does not matter).

While SLAMing, assuming you are using liquid chlorine link you should, the CYA will not be changing. You just want to test the FC and CC while SLAMing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.