Just refilled pool and have some balance questions...

Oct 10, 2012
Mesa, AZ
We bought our house a couple of months ago and the pool has given us nothing but problems since. After fighting algae bloom after algae bloom with Pool Store advice I found this forum and decided to just do a drain and refill. I did not test with my new Taylor k-2006 because I KNEW we were going to drain but according to test strips and pool store the CYA was +100 and the home inspection pool contractor said dissolved solids were +4000?

This morning I got the following values from the Taylor k-2006

FC 1.6
CC .2
PH 7.4 with a tinge of pink but not quite 7.6 pink, so 7.5?
Alk 120 ppm (Should the sample be a true red or is this value correct if the sample water was pink?)
CH ~225 (I did this with both a 10 and 25ml sample. I noticed tiny pink globs suspended in the sample which then turned blue for this test where all the others seemed uniform in color. Is that normal? )
CYA <30 (Pool store employee said that if our CYA was extremely high before the drain that some could theoretically remain on the walls and flow back into the water so I shouldn't add too much right away. Does that sound right? )

I have to go out of town for a night tomorrow which is terrible timing but my plan is to add CYA (in a sock at the return I read on here?) and bring my FC to 3 with liquid chlorine. And then use the floater with pucks just until I get back into town. Am I on the right track here?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I think that line about CYA sticking to the walls is mostly non-sense. You are likely close to 0ppm, depending on how high the CYA really was and how close to 100% of the water you removed.

I would add about 40ppm of CYA now and retest a week after it dissolves.

Use PoolMath to tell you how much CYA the pucks will add and adjust the amount you put in a sock accordingly.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

just a quick note on your alkalinity reading, you should continue to add drops counting as you go until the color red does not change, so say you added 10 drops and the color red doesn't change you would not count that 10th drop. You keep adding drops until the color doesn't change and your last drop would not count. Hope this makes sense to you. I use the Taylor k- 2006 test kit and I think it works great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.