Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just refilled pool and have some balance questions...

1. Back To Top    #1

Just refilled pool and have some balance questions...

We bought our house a couple of months ago and the pool has given us nothing but problems since. After fighting algae bloom after algae bloom with Pool Store advice I found this forum and decided to just do a drain and refill. I did not test with my new Taylor k-2006 because I KNEW we were going to drain but according to test strips and pool store the CYA was +100 and the home inspection pool contractor said dissolved solids were +4000?

This morning I got the following values from the Taylor k-2006

FC 1.6
    CC .2
    PH 7.4 with a tinge of pink but not quite 7.6 pink, so 7.5?
    Alk 120 ppm (Should the sample be a true red or is this value correct if the sample water was pink?)
    CH ~225 (I did this with both a 10 and 25ml sample. I noticed tiny pink globs suspended in the sample which then turned blue for this test where all the others seemed uniform in color. Is that normal? )
    CYA <30 (Pool store employee said that if our CYA was extremely high before the drain that some could theoretically remain on the walls and flow back into the water so I shouldn't add too much right away. Does that sound right? )

I have to go out of town for a night tomorrow which is terrible timing but my plan is to add CYA (in a sock at the return I read on here?) and bring my FC to 3 with liquid chlorine. And then use the floater with pucks just until I get back into town. Am I on the right track here?
    ~17000 IG Plaster pool built 15+ years ago | Triton II Sand Filter | Taylor K-2006 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just refilled pool and have some balance questions...

Welcome to TFP!!!

I think that line about CYA sticking to the walls is mostly non-sense. You are likely close to 0ppm, depending on how high the CYA really was and how close to 100% of the water you removed.

I would add about 40ppm of CYA now and retest a week after it dissolves.

Use PoolMath to tell you how much CYA the pucks will add and adjust the amount you put in a sock accordingly.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Angelafx

Just curious if you straightened out the CYA level ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

just a quick note on your alkalinity reading, you should continue to add drops counting as you go until the color red does not change, so say you added 10 drops and the color red doesn't change you would not count that 10th drop. You keep adding drops until the color doesn't change and your last drop would not count. Hope this makes sense to you. I use the Taylor k- 2006 test kit and I think it works great.
    Dawson, MN.,135,000 gallon indoor pool with a sand filter system and a auto-chem feed. I believe it is a BECSYS 3 feeder. The pool is located in a High School and only open from Nov.- Apr. It is also and IG pool I use the Taylor 2006 test kit and love it

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Video on testing alkalinity : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFGmZI2yXcQ
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

6. Back To Top    #6

That is the video I watched too. Thanks kissafrog
    Dawson, MN.,135,000 gallon indoor pool with a sand filter system and a auto-chem feed. I believe it is a BECSYS 3 feeder. The pool is located in a High School and only open from Nov.- Apr. It is also and IG pool I use the Taylor 2006 test kit and love it

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

We "Northerners" (Dawson MN) have to stick together

8. Back To Top    #8

I've been scooping this @#$^&**^%$#^%# SNOW for the past three days. We got 14 inches on monday, so I haven't had a chance to be on the forum. You are right we "NORTHERNERS" must stick together.