Dirty water being returned to pool!

May 23, 2014
Caledon, Ontario
Well, I have seen this thread a few times but never thought I would be starting one myself....

I have had inground pools for the last 14 years and have never come upon this problem. I have a 16x36 inground with the usual Hayward pump, sand filter and automatic chlorinator. The pool has been zero problems for years until about 10 days ago. Through our own forgetfulness we came home one day to a pretty severe algae bloom - automatic chlorinator out of pucks!

I have had this before and my routine, very successful, is that I shock, circulate for a day, power down the pump for a day and all the algae settles and is easily vacuumed up. I was able to vacuum for about 30 minutes no problem....beautiful blue liner on the bottom proved my good progress. When I was complete in the shallow end I stopped for a back wash and rinse - no trouble so back to work.

About a quarter way though the deep end I noticed that the returns were not sending clear water back to the pool...I could see the stairs were in a cloud of something. I stopped and back washed/rinsed again then resumed work. As soon as I picked up where I left off the cloudy water began spewing from the returns again. So a serious backwash - noticed the sight glass was totally clear for entire backwash. Another rinse and again the sight glass was clear.

Now I cant get any of the dead algae vacuumed without it immediately being sent right back into the pool.

I have heard a few ideas about what the problem could be but never saw anyone end the thread with 'yes it was an O ring' or 'I had to replace the **** control head'....

So, is anyone interested in trying to help trouble shoot with me? I would dearly appreciate the help (even though the swimming season in Canada is pretty much over)....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.