Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach vs pool specific chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Hampton Falls, NH

Bleach vs pool specific chlorine

My vinyl liner in-ground pool is using a ton of chlorine. Both Chlorine and free chlorine are almost non-existent within a few days of shocking. I keep a float with large chlorine tabs in the pool at all times and those seem to get used up pretty fast too. The pool is not subject to heavy use. All other chemical/PH parameters are within normal range. I've been using household bleach. Should I be using something different? The pump runs about 6 hours /day and the temp is maintained at 88 F by a propane heater that cycles with the pump. I live on the NH Seacoast. Pool store tech thinks keeping the heat constant is the cause of chlorine depletion
    Thanks for any advice/help

Thank you,
    10,000 +/- gallon IG Vinyl Pool, Jacuzzi Sand Filter (model 190L)16,800 gallons/6 hours
    Jacuzzi Magnum 1HP pump (model 94027110), Raypak Versa Pool Heater (model 155C)

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Bleach vs pool specific chlorine

Welcome to TFP!

The tabs are probably your issue. High CYA can make it very difficult to control your pool. Knowing your CYA level is critical to dosing with chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Dallas, TX

Can you post a full set of test results please?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Fort Worth, TX

Ah....used to live in Dover and Greenland. Now in Texas where I bet I can use my pool longer than you can use your pool (without heater)!

As RobbieH said above, please post all your details. I don't think the 88 degree water has anything (or very much) to do with your chlorine depletion. Those of us who live down south deal with those temperatures all the time.

You say you are using bleach but you also say you are using a chlorine float? How are you managing the chlorine? When do you add bleach? Are you adding bleach based on any chlorine test? Just curious, why both?

Do you have one of the test kits recommended on this site (i.e. TF-100)?
    30,000 plaster in-ground pool with spa; 2.5HP single speed Centurion pump; Raypak RP2100 propane heater; Polaris 280 with pump, waterfall with separate pump, Triton II commercial sand filter; TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir