Re: Michael Assad from Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Assad View Post
    Hi All!

I'm a big fan of ionizers, so I know I'll have a lot of fun on here

Looking forward to meeting you!

Cheers,
    Mike

Welcome to TFP!

Do you have US EPA registration numbers for any ionizers?

Do you know how long it takes water treated with an ionizer to kill fecal coliform in the water compared to a chlorinated pool?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You can look up the EPA registration on the EPA site - they are there. Health Canada has one too which I know from first hand experience

You absolutely cannot use an ionizer without chlorine. If anyone tells you otherwise, they're full of fecal coliform. You just don't need as much.

EPA approves .5 ppm chlorine with an ionizer, vs. 1-3ppm without. That's a reduction of 50% - 90%.

To each his/her own, but I prefer limiting my exposure to chlorine and CYA for that matter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you read the responses to your other comments from Chem Geek?

A FC level of 0.5ppm with no CYA is a much higher exposure to active chlorine than the higher FC/CYA levels that we recommend ... in fact at least 5 times a higher active chlorine exposure.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Assad View Post
    You can look up the EPA registration on the EPA site - they are there.
    No they aren't. None. Not one.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Have you read the responses to your other comments from Chem Geek?

A FC level of 0.5ppm with no CYA is a much higher exposure to active chlorine than the higher FC/CYA levels that we recommend ... in fact at least 5 times a higher active chlorine exposure.
    He isn't talking about using no CYA, but rather using Trichlor pucks and a low FC target such as 0.5 ppm and using an algaecide, namely copper ions. You can read more of his comments and my responses starting in this post in another thread.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, I think you will agree that one can not simply say "0.5ppm of FC with a dash of copper and you are good to go" ... we all know that the CYA is important to this story.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

LOL ... what is hilarious is that I had that exact thing in my head when I wrote it
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

LOL

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    No they aren't. None. Not one.
    Huh. There are a bunch in Canada. Normally, Canada is much more strict when it comes to these matters.

http://pr-rp.hc-sc.gc.ca/ls-re/resul...rchexpdate=EXP

12. Back To Top    #12

The EPA is similar with regard to registered pesticide products added as chemicals, but they do not require registration of saltwater chlorine generators (though do require registration of the establishment/facility) and only more recently (since 2008) required registration of ionization systems (see this link and this link) though it is again primarily through registration of the establishment/facility. One can look up registered products or establishments in the PPIS system. You can see that Argenia Systems has an EPA establishment (company) number and there are no "products" because that database only lists chemical products, not devices manufactured by a company or at a facility.

There is also separate 3rd party certification via NSF Standard 50 though that is optional and not required by law.

However, the EPA only registers copper/silver ionization devices as producing a pesticide and that includes algaecides and that is not the same thing as passing EPA DIS/TSS-12 to be called a swimming pool disinfectant. So such copper/silver ionization systems cannot make any pesticidal claims such as "kills bacteria" unless used in conjunction with an EPA-approved disinfectant such as chlorine. It's only the copper/silver products or ionization companies that tout chlorine-free and make pesticidal claims that would be in violation of FIFRA rules. This happened with Pristine BlueŽ as I noted in this post and the one following it. They can only claim to "control algae and nonpublic health bacteria" and have to qualify with an asterisk as with "algicide and bactericide*" "*Nonpublic Health Bacteria" which reflects the fact that these products do not kill fecal bacteria (that is what is meant by public health bacteria).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"