Think the capacitor is bad on the pool. Pulled it and am having a hard time finding

Feb 21, 2014
dfw tx
Pulled the capacitor and called a local store based on my description they said its a week out :mad: So trying to interchange it online. Found one on amazon that's similar but its 240v while most of the other ones are 370v not sure how to tell which one this is.

found this online http://www.poolplaza.com/P-AOS-17586330-5009.html

Says 370v but has 3 plugs on top vs 2 here so not sure if it would mount correctly.

I was hoping to try to find it on amazon and hope its eligible for prime and one day ship it.

Thanks for the help the part number is 175863-30

The voltage rating is a maximum operating voltage for the cap. Using a 240V cap in a 240V application is just fine. However, if you want to use the 370V cap, that's fine too. The 3 vs 2 terminal make no difference since the terminals are connected together.

Plus, any local electric motor shop should have that capacitor......or any garage door shop that services electric openers. Needless to say, Amazon will be cheaper if you can wait.....

So the only thing that matters is 30mfd? and size/shape.

Yes. The only other requirement is it has to be an AC capacitor (non-polarized), which all motor run capacitors are. Many other capacitors are meant for DC applications and would not work here. All the one's you've pointed to are the correct AC non-polarized motor run variety.

EDIT: I miss-named the type of capacitor you're dealing with. From all the cross-references I've seen it is a RUN capacitor, not a START cap. You should verify the description of what you buy as being a RUN type. Made the changes to the text above.

Correct! It should be no less than 240V, preferably higher than that if you are running a 240V pump. And a few microfarads in either direction will likely not matter (expecting an expert to correct me......) but the form factor (size) will be most crucial -

So bought a new one and pump still sounds horrible but is actually running. Took it all apart and some grass was in the impeller cleaned it up as best as I could and put it back together. Checked in the back to make sure gears could still turn freely and they do. pump is still barely moving any water and sounds like it might die at any second. Any suggestions or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new pump

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ordered a new impeller and screw for the pump just to see if those will help. Tried multiple times screwed in tight, handspin it and it doesn't come out as soon as I turn on the pump starts up works for 5 seconds then it sounds like its on its last leg. Pulll it apart again and screw is out of the impeller. Can't figure it out.

Looked at the screw and threads seem good non stripped.

I think you should be able to get some Locktite thread locker and put on the male threads, tighten it down, leave overnight and it should stick then.
If it doesn't at that point, leave the bolt out and let the Locktite dry for a few hours then reinstall.
I'm not sure how quick its going to dry threaded in, so that's the reason for the second suggestion.
Being threaded in to dry would be the best.

How would I check to see if the polarity is reversered? Which way is it supposed to turn?

- - - Updated - - -

I think you should be able to get some Locktite thread locker and put on the male threads, tighten it down, leave overnight and it should stick then.
If it doesn't at that point, leave the bolt out and let the Locktite dry for a few hours then reinstall.
I'm not sure how quick its going to dry threaded in, so that's the reason for the second suggestion.
Being threaded in to dry would be the best.

I was considering this but isn't loctite like impossible to get out once its in?

Ive got a bottle of the red locktite and it doesn't seem to be to bad about removing the bolts. If you think its appropriate, go to a mechanical contractors wholesale house (Granger, or something similar), explain what is happening and what you are trying to do. They may be able to direct you into something that you feel might be more appropriate.

Hmmm I'm wondering if you or someone who's worked on it might have reversed the polarity. Making it turn the wrong direction? That's not all I can think of.

Yes, an improperly wired run capacitor can cause the motor to run backwards.
Assuming its a run cap, by the mfd size and metal casing.
How many of the wires were disconnected. Do you have a picture of the wiring diagram on the pump motor, and a pic of the present wiring configuration?

It should be a start capacitor. I believe it should run clockwise against the way the screw should tighten. At least that's how I remember reinstalling the impeller after a motor replacement video showed. But right this second I'm feeling pretty confused about it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.