Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Think the capacitor is bad on the pool. Pulled it and am having a hard time finding

1. Back To Top    #1

Think the capacitor is bad on the pool. Pulled it and am having a hard time finding

Pulled the capacitor and called a local store based on my description they said its a week out So trying to interchange it online. Found one on amazon that's similar but its 240v while most of the other ones are 370v not sure how to tell which one this is.

found this online http://www.poolplaza.com/P-AOS-17586330-5009.html

Says 370v but has 3 plugs on top vs 2 here so not sure if it would mount correctly.

I was hoping to try to find it on amazon and hope its eligible for prime and one day ship it.

Thanks for the help the part number is 175863-30
    16k gallons
    IG "roman style" plaster
    Pentair CCP420 Clean and Clear Plus Pool and Spa Cartridge Filter, 150-GPM
    1hp pump
    Built in 2000

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Think the capacitor is bad on the pool. Pulled it and am having a hard time findi

The voltage rating is a maximum operating voltage for the cap. Using a 240V cap in a 240V application is just fine. However, if you want to use the 370V cap, that's fine too. The 3 vs 2 terminal make no difference since the terminals are connected together.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Think the capacitor is bad on the pool. Pulled it and am having a hard time findi

Plus, any local electric motor shop should have that capacitor......or any garage door shop that services electric openers. Needless to say, Amazon will be cheaper if you can wait.....
    24 foot AG Vinyl, 10 year old wall, 1 year old liner
    Hayward 240T Sand (free!)
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump (free)
    BBB just ROCKS!

4. Back To Top    #4

So the only thing that matters is 30mfd? and size/shape.
    16k gallons
    IG "roman style" plaster
    1hp pump
    Built in 2000

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by 12mustangdude View Post
    So the only thing that matters is 30mfd? and size/shape.
    Yes. The only other requirement is it has to be an AC capacitor (non-polarized), which all motor run capacitors are. Many other capacitors are meant for DC applications and would not work here. All the one's you've pointed to are the correct AC non-polarized motor run variety.

EDIT: I miss-named the type of capacitor you're dealing with. From all the cross-references I've seen it is a RUN capacitor, not a START cap. You should verify the description of what you buy as being a RUN type. Made the changes to the text above.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

6. Back To Top    #6

Correct! It should be no less than 240V, preferably higher than that if you are running a 240V pump. And a few microfarads in either direction will likely not matter (expecting an expert to correct me......) but the form factor (size) will be most crucial -
    24 foot AG Vinyl, 10 year old wall, 1 year old liner
    Hayward 240T Sand (free!)
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump (free)
    BBB just ROCKS!

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have a Grainger nearby, that's where I found a capacitor for my pump motor. Once you locate the correct capacitor, you can check availability at a local store.

http://www.grainger.com/category/cap...ecatalog/N-9yp
    ============================================================ ===========================================
    12,000 gal. IG Colorquartz, 1.65hp Sta-Rite with 2-spd motor, 300sf cartridge, disabled SWG, AquaLogic P4, Polaris 280, gas+solar, 6' sheer descent with dedicated pump

8. Back To Top    #8

So bought a new one and pump still sounds horrible but is actually running. Took it all apart and some grass was in the impeller cleaned it up as best as I could and put it back together. Checked in the back to make sure gears could still turn freely and they do. pump is still barely moving any water and sounds like it might die at any second. Any suggestions or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new pump
    16k gallons
    IG "roman style" plaster
    1hp pump
    Built in 2000

9. Back To Top    #9

Pulled pump again and the impeller screw comes out instantly, not sure why it would I tightened it up earlier. Pump sounds like its an old starter trying to start.
    16k gallons
    IG "roman style" plaster
    1hp pump
    Built in 2000

10. Back To Top    #10

shaft spins freely pulled pump again and impeller screw is out again. Took apart all the way to impeller and everything seems normal idk so lost.
    16k gallons
    IG "roman style" plaster
    1hp pump
    Built in 2000

11. Back To Top    #11

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the impeller screw in reverse? Are you tightening it the correct direction?
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Here is a good guide with video which walks you through the step by step process of replacing your pool pump capacitor http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/h...capacitor.aspx

13. Back To Top    #13

Ordered a new impeller and screw for the pump just to see if those will help. Tried multiple times screwed in tight, handspin it and it doesn't come out as soon as I turn on the pump starts up works for 5 seconds then it sounds like its on its last leg. Pulll it apart again and screw is out of the impeller. Can't figure it out.

Looked at the screw and threads seem good non stripped.
    16k gallons
    IG "roman style" plaster
    1hp pump
    Built in 2000

14. Back To Top    #14

Hmmm I'm wondering if you or someone who's worked on it might have reversed the polarity. Making it turn the wrong direction? That's not all I can think of.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

15. Back To Top    #15

I think you should be able to get some Locktite thread locker and put on the male threads, tighten it down, leave overnight and it should stick then.
    If it doesn't at that point, leave the bolt out and let the Locktite dry for a few hours then reinstall.
    I'm not sure how quick its going to dry threaded in, so that's the reason for the second suggestion.
    Being threaded in to dry would be the best.
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

16. Back To Top    #16

How would I check to see if the polarity is reversered? Which way is it supposed to turn?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by one_knight4u View Post
    I think you should be able to get some Locktite thread locker and put on the male threads, tighten it down, leave overnight and it should stick then.
    If it doesn't at that point, leave the bolt out and let the Locktite dry for a few hours then reinstall.
    I'm not sure how quick its going to dry threaded in, so that's the reason for the second suggestion.
    Being threaded in to dry would be the best.
    I was considering this but isn't loctite like impossible to get out once its in?
    16k gallons
    IG "roman style" plaster
    1hp pump
    Built in 2000

17. Back To Top    #17

Ive got a bottle of the red locktite and it doesn't seem to be to bad about removing the bolts. If you think its appropriate, go to a mechanical contractors wholesale house (Granger, or something similar), explain what is happening and what you are trying to do. They may be able to direct you into something that you feel might be more appropriate.
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    Hmmm I'm wondering if you or someone who's worked on it might have reversed the polarity. Making it turn the wrong direction? That's not all I can think of.
    Yes, an improperly wired run capacitor can cause the motor to run backwards.
    Assuming its a run cap, by the mfd size and metal casing.
    How many of the wires were disconnected. Do you have a picture of the wiring diagram on the pump motor, and a pic of the present wiring configuration?
    24k gallon inground vinyl liner pool, 8'-3' depth, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, basic 5 chem kit.
    Hayward: DE-60 filter, Superpump VS, AquaRite salt chlorinator w/T-Cell 15, TigerShark QC robot. Jacuzzi hot tub ~350gal. Air blower type, w/8 jets.

19. Back To Top    #19

It should be a start capacitor. I believe it should run clockwise against the way the screw should tighten. At least that's how I remember reinstalling the impeller after a motor replacement video showed. But right this second I'm feeling pretty confused about it.

20. Back To Top    #20

My apologies, I was using your post to reference the original post of this thread.
    A 30mfd 370vac metal can, looks like a run cap.
    24k gallon inground vinyl liner pool, 8'-3' depth, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, basic 5 chem kit.
    Hayward: DE-60 filter, Superpump VS, AquaRite salt chlorinator w/T-Cell 15, TigerShark QC robot. Jacuzzi hot tub ~350gal. Air blower type, w/8 jets.