Hayward HP 600 motor question

Aug 27, 2014
Beaver, PA
Good morning everyone... new novice pool owner! Was wondering if anyone would have an answer as I've Googled myself out.

I have an older model Hayward HP 600 pool heater. When I bought my house, the previous owner had said the heater wasn't working. Long story short, I found that the set screw on the fan had gone loose, the fan dropped down the motor shaft and was clipping the chassis... which in turn wrecked the motor.

I pulled the part up online and bought a new fan and motor. When it arrived, I found that the new motor has three wires plus ground versus the old motor having four plus ground. From what I gather, the new motor is single speed vs two speed in the previous.

I wired the new motor up per the diagram provided and it won't turn on. The only thing I found on the internet is a user that described the exact same issue, said: "This is a good replacement motor but be aware that it is a newer revision. It is 4 wires instead of 5 wires. I re-wired it according to the enclosed wiring directions and it did not work. I had to have a pool expert tell me an additional modification to get it to work. Otherwise it is fine." I posted a comment asking for what the fix was, but was hoping someone here might be able to offer assistance.

The motor I purchased was a Hayward HPX11023564. The capacitor was in working order prior to the current replacement. I'm just not sure what type of modification they'd be speaking of...

Thanks to any and all help for this newbie!

The old motor was single speed as well, but they made it easier to wire by including a separate yellow wire for the cap's Common terminal. This yellow wire is internally jumpered to the Red wire inside the motor. So, essentially on the old motor, the red and yellow are the same wire.

The new motor did not provide the internally jumpered wire dropping a wire. One of the wires on the new motor (Red or Yellow) serves as the old motors Black wire. I don't know which one without seeing the schematic on the side of the new motor.
If I were to guess, I would say the new motors red wire would be the old motors black.
The new motors yellow wire would be the old motors red.
The brown would remain the same.
If you don't have a schematic you can determine the designations by winding resistance with a multimeter.

You're probably going to need to test the run cap to be sure it's ok.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.