Going away for three days

Wilkod

Mar 8, 2014
Cypress
Good morning, We are going away for three days and I'd like an opinion on how I should maintain a decent chlorine level while we are gone. Typically I adjust to FC level of 6 daily. Depending on how hot it is I have been testing at about 3 to 3.5 FC in the afternoon.

With needing to adjust 2.5 to 3 each day my thought was to increase to an FC of 12 before we leave so when we get back I should still have a good amount of chlorine in the pool. Does that make sense?

Alternatively I could put a chlorine puck in my chlorinator but I havent used that since discovering this site.

Thanks

The last time I tested for everything was August 18:
FC- 4
cC- .5 (actually less than that - just barely turned color)
TA- 90
CYA- 40
CH- 250
PH 7.5

I check FC and ph everyday. Yesterday when I tested FC was 3 and Ph was 7.7.

Do you have a cover? You could raise the FC to shock level and cover it.

Your CYA is low enough that you could use a few tablets as well. I would not put them in the skimmer unless you leave the pump on 24/7.
Each tablet will only add 1.6ppm of CYA and 2.6ppm of FC (so really you would need around one to dissolve every day).

Going away for 3 days is doable. I would bring it up to 16 FC just before you leave. Be sure to circulate pool for at least 30 minutes before you head out. I would leave the pump off and not use the pucks but it will cause little inconvenience either way.

When you return, I doubt your pool will be clear but it will be quite sensible and easy to re-start your SLAM process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.