Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going away for three days

1. Back To Top    #1

Going away for three days

Good morning, We are going away for three days and I'd like an opinion on how I should maintain a decent chlorine level while we are gone. Typically I adjust to FC level of 6 daily. Depending on how hot it is I have been testing at about 3 to 3.5 FC in the afternoon.

With needing to adjust 2.5 to 3 each day my thought was to increase to an FC of 12 before we leave so when we get back I should still have a good amount of chlorine in the pool. Does that make sense?

Alternatively I could put a chlorine puck in my chlorinator but I havent used that since discovering this site.

Thanks
    21000 gallons (including spa), pebble sheen; Intelliflo Vs pump plus 2hp feature pump. De filter 60sq ft; Mastertemp 400k heater; Easytouch 8 and last but not least it is a chlorine pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Going away for three days

Without a full set of test results, it's difficult to give you advice. Pushing it up to 12 might be okay, but it might not be too. It's hard to say.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

At least post your CYA. You may be able to get away with some pucks in a floater.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

The last time I tested for everything was August 18:
    FC- 4
    cC- .5 (actually less than that - just barely turned color)
    TA- 90
    CYA- 40
    CH- 250
    PH 7.5

I check FC and ph everyday. Yesterday when I tested FC was 3 and Ph was 7.7.
    21000 gallons (including spa), pebble sheen; Intelliflo Vs pump plus 2hp feature pump. De filter 60sq ft; Mastertemp 400k heater; Easytouch 8 and last but not least it is a chlorine pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have a cover? You could raise the FC to shock level and cover it.

Your CYA is low enough that you could use a few tablets as well. I would not put them in the skimmer unless you leave the pump on 24/7.
    Each tablet will only add 1.6ppm of CYA and 2.6ppm of FC (so really you would need around one to dissolve every day).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

No cover. But I think I will put three pucks in the chlorinator. Might as well use it.

Thanks all for the advice!

7. Back To Top    #7

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...l=1#post403956
    You could loose 60% of your FC every day at that CYA level. Be sure your raise your FC before you leave.
    Day 1: 16 FC (Slam level)
    Day 2: 9.6 FC
    Day 3: 5.7 FC
    Day 4: 3.4 FC

You should be good without the tabs but use them for insurance.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Going away for 3 days is doable. I would bring it up to 16 FC just before you leave. Be sure to circulate pool for at least 30 minutes before you head out. I would leave the pump off and not use the pucks but it will cause little inconvenience either way.

When you return, I doubt your pool will be clear but it will be quite sensible and easy to re-start your SLAM process.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School