Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What to do with old bleach bottles

1. Back To Top    #1

What to do with old bleach bottles

TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What to do with old bleach bottles

I liked the scoop idea, however i am pretty sure I cant use 45 scoops in a lifetime.
    17500 Gal Above Ground, 1.5HP Dynamo Pump, 250# Pentair Sand filter with ZeoLite. Diver Dave Cleaner. TFP test kit w/SpeedStir, 7 Grandaughters and 1 Grandson swimming every week WooooHooo!!

3. Back To Top    #3

For those who close each winter, fill the 1/2 full of water and use them to hold down the cover. We do this each year then recycle them in the spring.

4. Back To Top    #4

I rinse them, fill 3/4 full of water and keep them in the chest freezer to make it run just a little less. With no kids remaining at home, it just isn't as full as it formerly was!
    24 foot AG Vinyl, 10 year old wall, 1 year old liner
    Hayward 240T Sand (free!)
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump (free)
    BBB just ROCKS!

5. Back To Top    #5

[QUO TE=sbn56;723397]I rinse them, fill 3/4 full of water and keep them in the chest freezer to make it run just a little less. With no kids remaining at home, it just isn't as full as it formerly was![/QUOTE]

Genius.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

6. Back To Top    #6

Draining them thoroughly without rinsing, then filling with tap water and closing them up again is actually a great way to store an emergency supply of water in the basement. There's just enough chlorine in the jugs to keep the water sanitary for a long period stored in a cool location. That and when you have your next party, you can break one out and take bets on whether or not you can chug a bottle of "bleach." Just be sure to mark them conspicuously as water, unless it's the jug you're going to use for the bets!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

What to do with old bleach bottles

This sounds totally nuts but my dad used old plastic bottles with bottoms and tops cut off as planters in his garden. He would start his tomato and other veggie plants in them, then bury the whole thing in the garden soil. The big bottles, like bleach, were very good at protecting the roots of the plants from moles and other burrowing animals.

Crazy, but it worked great.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
    For those who close each winter, fill the 1/2 full of water and use them to hold down the cover. We do this each year then recycle them in the spring.
    I like that idea. I have a safety cover, but putting them around the edges may keep leaves and needles from blowing under the cover so much. Thanks.
    1994 18X36 IG vinyl, about 24,000 gallons, Hayward sand filter model S244T, 2 speed 1hp pump w/timer, Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robot, in beautiful SW Ohio.