Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Private Community Hot Tub With CC that won't go away...

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Private Community Hot Tub With CC that won't go away...

Outdoor Hot Tub
    2000 gallons
    Cartridge Filters
    FC- 5
    CC-1-1.5
    CH-425
    Alk-60
    Ph- 7.3
    CYA-35
    Salt System CC-15(salt Cell)
    System is run on a Pool Pilot Digital, Total Control w/ Acid Bath Feeder.

ORP set point is at 425. I have had to continual drop the set point due to high amounts of Chlorine being generated.
    When Oxi-shock is added the ORPs jump to the 600 Range, otherwise they always hover around the set point.
    When the ORPs hover around the set point, it turns on the salt generator, which then generates Chlorine and then the CL gets too high.

We had some very poor weather lately and I was able to slam it for 3 straight days with no bathers, and the CCs hardly moved.
    I had a slight drop in CC but nothing significant.

Something in the water is dropping my ORPs, which is turning on the Generator whens it doesn't need to.
    I have spoken with a tech from AquaCal, but he is not too familiar with this size body of water run on this type of system.
    This one is a head scratcher. New water is the only thing that seems to drop the CCs. But it costs $$$ to heat that water back up.

Any thoughts would be helpful here, it's got me a bit stumped.

Thanks,
    PF

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Private Community Hot Tub With CC that won't go away...

If the hot tub is used a lot, you simply are building up a lot of bather waste and such organics depress ORP. However, since they did not drop in spite of slamming with chlorine then they may be slow-to-oxidize organics. Exposure to sunlight could help, if that is possible (you listed this as an outdoor hot tub).

I wonder if there's something some of the bathers are bringing in that forms difficult to oxidize CC. Some sort of lotion perhaps.

What sort of bather load is there? How many people soaking for how long each?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

On a normal day, there could be 40 people. A slow day is 20, and on a real heavy day would be around 60. The recommended soak time is no more than 20 mins.
    The spa receives about 8-10 hours of sun.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you're using MPS oxidizer, that will read falsely as CC. http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Ch...P?ContentID=24
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

That is extraordinary bather load. The standard Water Replacement Interval (WRI) = (1/3) x (Spa Size in Gallons) / (# of people per day) which assumes 20 minute soaks would be (1/3) x (2000) / (40) = 16 days. Perhaps with the salt cell and limited CYA you could go double that so about a month. So how long after a complete water change are you able to go before the CC becomes unmanageable?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

16 days before the cc went from 0 to 1
    Right in line with the numbers, huh?
    I'm guessing the one thing I don't want to do is the one thing
    I have to do, new water every couple of weeks, right?

Correction (the owner doesn't want to do; heating the water)

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, the only other thing you can do is to physically remove the organics that chlorine doesn't fully oxidize. In commercial/public swimming pools some use the SeaKlear® PRS 2-stage system though you'd need to scale it down for use in the smaller spa volume (they used to make a SeaKlear Spa PRS, but I don't see that anymore).

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Ok, thanks for all the help, as always.
    PF