New house, puzzled with filter plumbing

Aug 26, 2014
League City, TX
Good evening everyone,

I've been lurking and studying for a while here, love the site and everything I've been able to learn. :D My parents have had a pool since the 90's so I'm pretty familiar with all of the components and such, mostly with IG vinyl pools and sand filters.

We're closing on a house this week, which has an IG gunnite pool, which I have no idea yet as far as capacity. I will be able to get more measurements on that later this week.

It has a Hayward pump and DE filter, but no multiport valve. One skimmer and one main drain. I've attached a picture of the pump/filter/plumbing. From what I can tell, the drain and skimmer T together somewhere before the pump intake (2nd pipe in picture). The discharge of the pump goes up to a valve which sends it through the filter, or to the third pipe which I think goes to my sewer line. That third pipe has a hose spigot and I think a DE separator.

I think I have that correct that the third pipe is the waste line that completely bypasses the filter. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Jamie

pool filter.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The pipe is the red arrow is likely a pressure cleaner line that runs to a single return port in your pool.

I am assuming that is a cartridge filter given the lack of a backwash valve.

Thanks for the welcome, and the fast reply Jason. :)

I haven't been able to get up close to see how many returns there is, but I know for sure there is a one return in the the middle of the wall closest to the filter that runs a Polaris cleaner, or a fountain spray head. I'll be able to get a closer look at everything tomorrow.

Also, on the the line running from the pump to the filter, there is a capped off T fitting. Right next to it there is what looks like some sort of sensor wire. Any idea what that may have went to?

I was able to meet the sellers at closing and I was able to get a little more info about the pool and the filter setup. I was also able to get up close and get a better look at the equipment.

The pool has been at the house since the previous owners moved in, so the pool was installed around the early 90's. The PB is still in business so I may get some more info from them too.

Previous owners used both tri-chlor tabs and di-chlor powder. I have ordered a TF-100 that I will pick up Sunday so I can get get all of my readings and start adjusting the water. They also left a small test kit so I did a quick OTO test and the sample turned orange. I'm interested to see what I get for CYA.

The pump is a Hayward 2 HP single speed pump and the filter is a cartridge type. The discharge goes to a Jandy 3 way valve that I can send to the cleaner line for the Polaris, the filter and returns, but not both. Something I would like to change in the future. The main drain line goes to the skimmer basket, then shares the line going to the pump. I found this thing (a diverter maybe) under the skimmer basket. Any idea what it is for?

Skimmer thing.jpg

Yes, the "thing" is called a float diverter. It sits over the two pipes at the bottom if the skimmer. One opening (typically the one oriented towards the back) goes to your pump (you should feel good suction there) and the other opening is tied to your MDs.

Inside the diverter is a floating plastic cap. During normal operation the cap is floating and the pump pulls on both the skimmer and MDs. Given the flow restrictions there, you theoretically get approx 50/50 pull on skimmer and MDs. In reality though a lot more water gets pulled from the skimmer due to the 90deg joints used to pipe the MD over.

Now, in the event your water level falls below the skimmer opening, that plastic floating cap will fall and cover an o-ring seal and then your pump will pull 100% from the MDs. It's designed to protect your pump from losing prime. Check the o-rings in your skimmer, I'm going to bet no one ever has and they are probably disintegrated by now.

However, the float-diverter makes very little sense in your setup because you have a cartridge filter and your not backwashing lots of water in any way. So the only way you could lose that much water is if you turned off your auto fill and let the pool water evaporate.

Now you could upgrade your filtration to a DE filter (Pentair QuadDE series) and then having that float-diverter would be key to your plumbing system.

What's your plan for chlorination since using floats with trichlor is, as you can see from the OTO tests, really bad. Stenner pump or SWCG?? Looks like you got plenty of runway there to be a DIY installer of automation :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.