High PH levels after refill - spa

Aug 26, 2014
plainfield IL
Hey everyone new to the forum, I am posting because for as long as I have owned my spa Ive always had a issue with very high PH and alkalinity on fresh refills. This time seems to be different, I can not bring the PH down and the alkalinity is low. When I first tested after filling it up a day later after the spa has warmed up the PH was 8.2+ and alkalinity was 420.

Added about 2 cups of acid and about 3lbs of PH down and PH is still around 8.0 and alkalinity is at 80. Every time I add 2oz of PH down it will go down and a hour later it will be back at 8.0 and has been like this for a week now. I have been adding alkalinity up to try to keep it in the normal range and I'm sure that is bringing my PH up a bit but this seems a bit extreme this time.

I have brought the water into 2 different places to have tested by computer and so far nothing has been close and they keep saying to add more PH down and alkalinity up to bring it into spec, been following what they tell me to a T but nothing seems to be helping.

600 gal spa
Brilliance bromine system
PH 8.0
Alk 80
Bromine 4.0
Hardness 250

House water is:
7.4PH
310 Alk
Lake MI city water.

Any suggestions
Thanks!!

He isn't: I have brought the water into 2 different places to have tested by computer and so far nothing has been close and they keep saying to add more PH down and alkalinity up to bring it into spec, been following what they tell me to a T but nothing seems to be helping.

He isn't: I have brought the water into 2 different places to have tested by computer and so far nothing has been close and they keep saying to add more PH down and alkalinity up to bring it into spec, been following what they tell me to a T but nothing seems to be helping.

I have been using a pool masters test kit and the brilliance test strips. every thing has been same readings including initial store readings. Today i added another 3oz and its at 7.8 and alk is 80. So far i'm at 2 cups of acid, and 3.5lbs of pool ph down.

Could my spa some how be producing PH? The heater is set at 80 degrees and its sitting around 98 degrees from the warm weather so the heater has not turned on in over a week. Only thing running is the circulation pump and ozone.

Any other suggestions what might be going on? Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.