Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High PH levels after refill - spa

1. Back To Top    #1

High PH levels after refill - spa

Hey everyone new to the forum, I am posting because for as long as I have owned my spa Ive always had a issue with very high PH and alkalinity on fresh refills. This time seems to be different, I can not bring the PH down and the alkalinity is low. When I first tested after filling it up a day later after the spa has warmed up the PH was 8.2+ and alkalinity was 420.

Added about 2 cups of acid and about 3lbs of PH down and PH is still around 8.0 and alkalinity is at 80. Every time I add 2oz of PH down it will go down and a hour later it will be back at 8.0 and has been like this for a week now. I have been adding alkalinity up to try to keep it in the normal range and I'm sure that is bringing my PH up a bit but this seems a bit extreme this time.

I have brought the water into 2 different places to have tested by computer and so far nothing has been close and they keep saying to add more PH down and alkalinity up to bring it into spec, been following what they tell me to a T but nothing seems to be helping.

600 gal spa
    Brilliance bromine system
    PH 8.0
    Alk 80
    Bromine 4.0
    Hardness 250

House water is:
    7.4PH
    310 Alk
    Lake MI city water.

Any suggestions
    Thanks!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High PH levels after refill - spa

Welcome to TFP!!!

What test kit are you using?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

He isn't: I have brought the water into 2 different places to have tested by computer and so far nothing has been close and they keep saying to add more PH down and alkalinity up to bring it into spec, been following what they tell me to a T but nothing seems to be helping.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, that could very well be the problem ... trusting notoriously inaccurate pool store testing ... computerized no less which somehow seems to be worse
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Ya Think!!! Guess I need to watch my sarcasm here you know who might be reading this and have some off the wall problems with it.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    He isn't: I have brought the water into 2 different places to have tested by computer and so far nothing has been close and they keep saying to add more PH down and alkalinity up to bring it into spec, been following what they tell me to a T but nothing seems to be helping.
    I have been using a pool masters test kit and the brilliance test strips. every thing has been same readings including initial store readings. Today i added another 3oz and its at 7.8 and alk is 80. So far i'm at 2 cups of acid, and 3.5lbs of pool ph down.

Could my spa some how be producing PH? The heater is set at 80 degrees and its sitting around 98 degrees from the warm weather so the heater has not turned on in over a week. Only thing running is the circulation pump and ozone.

Any other suggestions what might be going on? Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

Aeration causes the pH to rise. That is normal.
    Jason, TFP Moderator