"Cadillac" of water sanitization systems?

Feb 15, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Hello TFPers, I am an architect working in Los Angeles on a new single family residence with a 35,000 gallon pool being planned. Our client wants to know what is the current "cadillac" of pool water sanitation systems? I am quite familiar with SWG systems but I am not sure what the most advanced treatment system currently is. Cost is not the primary concern, quality is. Is the current "best" system a UV system? I have done some initial research and this seems promising but I do not have direct experience with those systems. Any advice and recommendations are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

We do not recommend UV or ozone systems for residential outdoor pools. They are also not an EPA approved method of sole sanitation. So if you have to use chlorine anyway to have safe water, why bother with anything else?

We do not recommend UV or ozone systems for residential outdoor pools. They are also not an EPA approved method of sole sanitation. So if you have to use chlorine anyway to have safe water, why bother with anything else?

By "anything else" I believe you mean an SWG system, correct? I like the one I have at home and find it to be low maintenance, which I do myself. The house/pool being designed is for folks with a small support staff so they definitely won't be maintaining their water or even ever see the equipment most likely. As I mentioned, cost is not an issue, they just want the best.

SWG is the way to go.

Any system is only as good as the operator and chemistry maintenance but SWG is the Cadillac for outdoor residential pools. There is the chlorine gas option but that is not so much Cadillac as it is commercial and special licensing for handling and storage of chlorine gas.

I would say in terms of 'Cadillac' what you are looking for is a system that gives you crystal clear water 100% of the time. Especially on a high end pool with high end finishes. So by far the best way to achieve this is going to be a Salt Water Generator (SWG). Mainly because you get constant steady addition of chlorination to the pool. I would say to add an acid injector system also, especially if this is going to be a gunite pool. To help keep the pH steady. There are systems that can adjust both the pH and the chlorination level of a SWG, but there is a lot of criticism over how inaccurate they are. From what I've learned its better to just use it for pH monitoring and adjustment. Even so, chlorine and acid are the 2 things that need daily addition to keep the water crystal clear, and even someone with a pool service is unlikely to get a daily visit. So having a system to automate this part is probably going to be desirable.

Also in terms of equipment - I'd probably say Pentair is considered top of the line. Their automation system will tie in with their SWG and IntellipH (acid injection) or IntelliChem (acid injection and ORP, or chlorine monitoring) modules. Something like the Intellitouch System is easy to program and use, and will control just about everything on and around the pool, from lights and water features, to the heaters, chlorination system and even beyond to landscape lighting and fire features. Plus you can get it to tie in to an iPad/iPhone app, so you can check on the chlorination and pH levels from anywhere and do neat things like turn on the spa on the way home from work so its hot and ready when you get in.

One day we're actually going to start calling these things what they really are. An SWCG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator) Most people shorten it to just SWG, me included, but that's not accurate as they don't generate salt water. :whip:

Having said that, I agree that a SWCG is probably the best way to go and if you're looking for a high end system you should probably look at one with integrated acid feed capability to maintain the pH.

Also keep in mind that you should size the unit 1½ to 3 times the size of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the responses.

Beadedbiker: you are describing a system similar to what we use. Almost all Pentair equipment often linked to a Jandy controller. I will research the acid injector - this seems like a good addition to the system.

Bama Rambler: why oversize the system by 1 1/2 to 3 times the size of pool? Is this so you can set the output of the SWCG to a low level rather than running it at 100%? My pool at home is 9,000 gallons and has an ECO-matic ESC 36. When I called to order a replacement salt cell, the manufacturer told me that it was way oversized for the pool. I get away with running it 3 hours a night at 50% through the hot summers here in Los Angeles and my FC levels are almost too high.

I'd probably say Pentair is considered top of the line. Their automation system will tie in with their SWG and IntellipH (acid injection) or IntelliChem (acid injection and ORP, or chlorine monitoring) modules. Something like the Intellitouch System is easy to program and use, and will control just about everything on and around the pool, from lights and water features, to the heaters, chlorination system and even beyond to landscape lighting and fire features. Plus you can get it to tie in to an iPad/iPhone app, so you can check on the chlorination and pH levels from anywhere and do neat things like turn on the spa on the way home from work so its hot and ready when you get in.

If I was given whatever equipment I wanted for free, no matter how much, this is what I would do.

SWCG's are typically sized based on a run time of 24hrs, so over sizing it some allows you to either cut back on run time and/or percentage (i.e your cell will last longer). However, you don't want to get it too big as then each percentage step is huge, and can cause over/under shoot compared to the amount of FC required for the pool/spa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.