New pool owner battling alge but now with proper test kit!

Jan 9, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Hello Everyone,

I have moved into new home and have been working on keeping the pool clear during the summer. I have been naive and we have been using chlorine tablets and then using shock if it gets green.

Now that I have jumped into the TFP philosophy and ready to do this right.

Here are the numbers, I ran the test twice since I just got it.

Numbers as follows with TF -100
ph - 7.2
FC - 6
CC- 0
TA - 70
CH - 275
CYA - 80

Pool seems clear (not crystal) and there is a light brownish dust on the bottom that gets stirred up if I brush it.

I read the pool school quick tips about chemicals and also used the poolmath to see where I'm at, but I'm not to sure what numbers to tackle first?

For the dust on the bottom, I just brush a bit every day while the pump is on, would it be better to get a vacuum instead?

Any tips to get me going would be great as I keep reading the pool school.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
25k plaster pool with waterfall spa, 1.5 HP Standard Motor - Full Rate , Hayward S244S Sand Filter
Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner, TF-100 test kit

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

You CYA is already pretty high, a 40-50% drain and refill would be helpful to bring it into the recommended range.

Vacuuming would certainly help, but if you are seeing dead algae, then you will need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. Might want to elevate the FC up to shock level and Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see where you are at.

All the other levels appear to be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.