Cleaner questions...

jvrobert

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 1, 2014
Mesa AZ
So I'm thinking of replacing my G2, it's getting pretty old and doesn't really hit the whole pool very well.

Seems a lot of people love The Pool Cleaner. One question - can I leave that thing in all the time? They say to take it out when people are swimming or when shocking (which should be rare, I don't so much mind that) - do I really need to? I've never done that with my G2, things in the pool 24x7.

Same question with something like the Dolphin Premier - I would need to drop it down and take it out after it's done, or does it just stay in the pool? Lugging that thing in and out would probably dissuade me from a robotic cleaner.

Thanks!

Makes sense. I went ahead and ordered thepoolcleaner. Another quick question if anyone happens along - right now I just leave my G2 in the pool 24x7 so it's running about 8-10 hours a day when the pump is on high. Will this cause any issues with a The Poolcleaner, I see people talking about only using it for e.g. 2-3 hours.

The Pool Cleaner is a great unit, We're starting to install more and more here in AZ and they seem to run a lot longer than a Hayward Navigator between rebuilds although the parts are a few bucks more. The only time you NEED to remove your cleaner from the pool is if you're going to Bomb it or SLaM it since the high concentration of chemicals will turn the rubber tires into gum and cause the plastic to get brittle over time. If you do take it out, MAKE SURE TO LAY THE HOSES OUT STRAIGHT as they will permanently take whatever shape you leave them in when you remove the cleaner and coily bendy hoses make it hard for the cleaner to reach the far ends of the pool like trying to stretch a spring.

You should be able to set your pump up to just run High speed for a few hours (just enough that the cleaner gets the bottom of the pool...You wouldn't vacuum your living room for 8 hours, why your pool?) and then run low speed the rest of the time. Here in AZ I program Variable speed pumps to run on high (at night when the power is cheap) for 3-4 hours and then run low speed for 8-12 hours (depending on the pool and landscape conditions) so that it keeps the chems balanced and temps even throughout the pool.

If you do that you'll get a lot of life out of that cleaner between rebuilds.

Thanks SwimmingpoolAZ, yeah I have had the pool cleaner for a while now and it's great. Thing really moves around the pool quickly and does a good job.

I am probably running my pump for too long, I have a 30kish pool (probably now 33k since it's filled to the brim with the recent flooding here) and I run the high speed motor for 5 hours a day.

I also try to run when cheap, but I like to run the high speed from like 8-1pm (time of use gets expensive at 1pm in summer) so it's more likely to be freshly cleaned/skimmed when I'm about to swim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.