Couldn't get rid of the algae

melainiel

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 22, 2014
San Marcos Texas
Help! Just emptied 3600 gallon vinyl intex above ground pool. I live in central Texas and just couldn't get rid of the algae with the help of pool supply store. I am now a definite TFP supporter.:) Completed pool school but still learning.
I am worried about levels I have been adding bleach at night per the pool calculator but they are at 0 by noon the next day. Changed filter and it was burnt orange.
Values are..
FC 0
TC 0
CC 0
Bromine 0
PH 8.0 Alkalinity 250 Calcium Carbonate 130 and CYA is 0
Just added 2 1/2 cups of dry acid as suggested by calculator. It also states to add the same 22oz of bleach and 15oz of conditioner.
Suggestions are desperately needed. Also, at what point do I add the chlorine and conditioner after acid.

Welcome to TFP!

Bromine doesn't matter. You need to get FC in there ASAP, bleach! If it is burning off during the night, you need to follow the SLAM process in pool school.

You can add bleach 30 minutes after adding the acid. I recommend switching to muriatic acid, it's cleaner and cheaper.

Yes as Robbie said, you need to get bleach in there ASAP. But also you need to get some CYA/Conditioner/Stabilizer in the water. Pool Math calculates that to get a level of 30,you will need 14 oz by weight of CYA. Putting it in a sock and hanging/tying it over the side rail in front of your return jet will mix it in. Knead it as many times a day will get it dissolved in a couple of days.
Now assuming you have your pH at 7.2-7.3 (you stated you added 2 1/2 cups of dry acid), proceed with the bleach.
Use Pool Math to give your dosage requirements. If possible test as close to an hour from dosing but not less than twice a day. We understand life gets in the way, and sometimes you cant babysit it constantly. The more you keep on it in the first couple of days, the quicker this will go.
At this time all you need to test is your FC and CC. Once you elevate your FC to SLAM levels, ph will not be accurate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.