Filter cartridge discontinued

Aug 11, 2014
Avondale, AZ
I've owned my pool for a whopping three months and when the guy at Leslie's Pool store asked me the other day: "Have you cleaned your filters?" - I froze. Apparently "cleaning your filter" is more than just cleaning out the skimmer basket thingy.

So I took off the top to my Hayward filter and checked out the cartridges and they were beyond pathetic. I'd guess that those things haven't been changed nor cleaned in years. All four were filthy and ripped. So I obviously need to replace them.

From what I'm seeing, Hayward Filter Cartridges C-138 0-E are discontinued (the part might actually be C-1380) and the equivalent Unicel part is C-7490.

Is there a way to verify this? I don't want to drop $275 to $400 to replace these things only to find out that the C-7490 isn't going to work.

Thanks John. Yes, I did a lot of Googling on this but just never seemed to get a nice and perfect definitive answer. There are different part numbers by different vendors with not a lot of similarities.

I only had the part number I copied off the actual filter cartridge, but some sites seemed to focus on measurements (which I didn't take).

The comparison I came up with with the Hayward part no. vs. the Unicel seemed to be the best fit - but again, still not sure.

I DID contact a pool supply store and they said that yes - those two are compatible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.