Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cant find Chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

Cant find Chemicals

Hello, Im sick of spending the high cost for these pool chemicals and want to start using over the counter stuff but the one thing I need I cant find... Where in the world do you find Soda Ash? Yes I can order it from the internet which im going to have to probably from amazon like HERE but for now where can I get some? I have places like Lowes, M&M True Value, Grocery stores ect.... I could use Borax but I need to raise my TA higher as well so I need the Soda Ash.

Thanks!
    Location - Northern Panhandle of West Virginia, 24' Round 54" 15,000 Galllon Azor Above Ground, Pentair 1.5hp 22" Sand Dollar, Aqua Pro500 Heat Pump, Hayward In-Line Tablet Chlorinator, Pool Rover Jr., 16 Mil Ultra Clear Pool Solar Cover,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cant find Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals

"Soda ash is available as ARM & HAMMERŪ Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster. Do not confuse this with ARM & HAMMERŪ laundry detergent! It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. It is also sold by pool stores under various names, including PH Increaser, PH Up, Balance Pak 200, etc. Soda ash is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return."
    Mac.Dblues and ProfessorDaisy's Lower Arkansas Pool Install
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Did you check Wal-Mart? Their website will tell you if it is in stock and it is found in the laundry isle.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arm-Hammer...55-oz/19407690

If you can't find it, you could always use borax (20 mule team borax) to raise PH and baking soda to raise TA. I get my baking soda in large bags from Wal-Mart... it is really cheap. Borax is between 3 and 4 dollars at Wal-Mart if I remember correctly.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys/gals I thought it had to say "Soda Ash" this was very helpfull!
    Location - Northern Panhandle of West Virginia, 24' Round 54" 15,000 Galllon Azor Above Ground, Pentair 1.5hp 22" Sand Dollar, Aqua Pro500 Heat Pump, Hayward In-Line Tablet Chlorinator, Pool Rover Jr., 16 Mil Ultra Clear Pool Solar Cover,

5. Back To Top    #5

You're welcome. Don't forget.... pool school is your friend!
    Mac.Dblues and ProfessorDaisy's Lower Arkansas Pool Install
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

6. Back To Top    #6

Actually I did read I in pool school in the link provided but I didn't see where it specified a product for soda ash. Thank you for the help!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ingredients:
    To raise pH:
    Sodium Carbonate ..... 100% (soda ash, washing soda)
    Sodium Tetraborate Decahydrate ..... 99.5 % (Borax)

To raise TA:
    Sodium Bicarbonate ..... 100 % (Baking Soda)
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.