Fresh Pool Remodel...Looking for Start-Up Advice

Aug 15, 2014
Plano, TX
So having been a General Contractor for several years in my past I thought "why the heck not handle my own remodel".

Shortly into the process I realized why I recalled hating the contracting business as there are so many flakes out there.

That said 2 weeks behind schedule, the cantilever decking has been cut back, the flagstone coping has been set. Diving board removed, Diving Rock in it's place. The dam wall of the hot tub has fallen, and the beach entry has been completed. Water feature has been added, and the plaster has been completed.

I previously had a SWG system in place and with the flagstone I have removed that and am thinking I will go liquid chlorine. I am leaning towards the Liquidator based on my limited research and it's ease of installation. Curious as to what people recommend beyond that. The Plaster company has started their side of chemical start up. Is there anything I need to ask them NOT to do that is considered typical? THey keep recommending I go to di-chlor but I see that as a more expensive and more of a headache option due to the obvious CYA aspect of it.

Pool.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Who is the plaster company? (I'm curious)

Dichlor is safe to use until your CYA comes up to about 40-50, then you need to stop. Just goes to show you how little the "pool experts" know.

Here's the article in PoolSchool (top right of this page) regarding start up.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/154-start-up-new-pool-plaster

A Liquidator (we shorten it to LQ here, just so if you see LQ you will know what we mean) will work fine on a pool the size of yours. I've installed them twice, it is a simple install. The one main thing on those is you need to keep CH, pH, and TA in check or you'll get white flakes in the tank. I resolved this on mine while I was using one by adding borates to the pool water.

RobbieH,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I went with Majestic Pool & Plaster for the Plaster side of it. His price was so low it scared me, but I felt comfortable talking with him, and I spoke with his references and they were all obviously positive considering he gave them to me. His bid came with a Certificate of Insurance which several others promised they would produce but never actually showed it.

Having done quite a bit of concrete work though never plaster I am very familiar with finishing a cement product. I was incredibly pleased with his work, with the finish, and with his attention to detail. The pool company he hired for start-up lacked a bit but he jumped in and has made it a non issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.