Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Auto Cover Lid Options?

1. Back To Top    #1

Auto Cover Lid Options?

We're in the planning stages for our new pool build in central NJ, and one question that has come up is what lid to use for the auto cover housing. Aesthetically, obviously a lid that matches the coping is most seamless, but the PB has said that it requires a bracketing system that is prone to wear and tear and breaking given the weight of the stone. The other alternatives seem to be aluminum and composite of some sort. Any views on which are better as a matter of functionality? Does the standard aluminum lid seem cheap and flimsy? The cover will be at the deep end away from the house/patio, so I don't think it will be terrible visually whatever we end up with. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Auto Cover Lid Options?

In my opinion if you are building a "highend" pool you should have a lid for the auto cover that matches that finish. Not a cheap looking aluminum lid. Coverstar from Latham has stainless brackets that we use for stone lids all the time and I have not had any issues with breakage.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

3. Back To Top    #3
    Santa Rosa, CA

My pool builder made our lids out of concrete that matches the deck. It looks very good. I can tell you that these things are heavy, and that somewhat discourages me from cleaning out the cover vault as often as I should, since I hate lifting those things. But, I still think I prefer this over the alternatives because it does look so good.
    16K gal IG 16'x28' pebble since 2011; Pentair Easytouch; Sta-Rite Intellipro VS pump; Sta-Rite 400 sq. ft. cartridge (System 3); 6 Heliocol Solar Panels; Aquamatic Cover; Legend pressure-side cleaner with Hayward booster pump; TF100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Cover star Aluminum.JPGThe house we bought has the cover star aluminum lids. I think it looks fine. Not to many people have a $10K pool cover in the first place around my parts. I wasn't even aware you could get a matching lid for your concrete (I have a colored stamped). I want to go out and polish my aluminum up now
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

5. Back To Top    #5

Peoria, IL

Auto Cover Lid Options?

We have an APC cover and an aluminum lid. But it is not a "high end" pool. Just some redneck schmucks that could patch enough together for our own swimmin' hole. Hard to see but i will post a better pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the feedback. We're not redneck schmucks, just Jersey shore schmucks. We are spending a fair bit on a new gunite build, so I don't want to just get the standard cover if I think it's something we'll regret later. But I'm lazy enough as it is, if the stone cover makes it harder to access, that might discourage me. I guess we probably need to get our hands and eyeballs on some installations to see what we think in real life. Thanks again.