Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pillow under winter cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Augusta, Kansas

Pillow under winter cover

We are planning on covering our pool this year. I would like to put some pillows down the center to help keep the water accumulation towards the sides so we can easily get to it (16x32 Intex - so rectangle shape). Oh and our pool is in a VERY windy location.

I had read either here or on another pool site where folks found that the official pool pillows tend to leak and just basiclly not work. There was a recommendation to use tractor tire inner tubes.

It seems like a good idea to hook a few of these together but wanted to see if anyone else had tried inner tubes.

15,000 salty gallons - 32' x 16' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump, SWG - TF-100 and speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Pillow under winter cover

I haven't tried them, but sounds like a great idea. Some of those tubes have very long valve stems so just make sure those are pointing downwards so they don't stick into the cover when it sags.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Montville NJ

I never used one as a pillow replacement - but it sounds like a good idea.

When I was a kid, my neighbor worked for a bus company. He had a half dozen or so of them that he used to use as inner tubes in his pool. They worked great (but got hot in the sun). As JVTrain said, keep those valve stems down - we learned that quickly.

In hindsight, I am suprised that none of us ever hurt outselves on them. They are also very "bouncy" - we used to stack them up and jump off the diving board and try and land on them. By all rights we should have cracked out heads open on the coping multiple times. That was safety in the 70's for you.

27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

4. Back To Top    #4

Oakbank, Canada

Anyone think of just knotting a few pool noodles and making it into a ball shape and using that? A plastic barrel works great too (the one with screw on lid, not snap on)
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

5. Back To Top    #5

Every year I take the rattiest 1-2 air mattresses that are still holding air, roll them while inflated, and tie them with a piece of nylon cord. Do this a week before closing so that I can tell if they have a slow leak - cheapest most reliable air pillows I have found!
    24 foot AG Vinyl, 10 year old wall, 1 year old liner
    Hayward 240T Sand (free!)
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump (free)
    BBB just ROCKS!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Southeast, WI

I have been told by my Brother in Law that he uses a truck tire tube and adds an exercise ball in the center of it. I'm going to try it this winter myself.
    Mike F.

15' Above Ground Sharkline Matrix, Vinyl, 6,000 gal. Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter. TFT 50 Test Kit. Install 7/2014
    Raypack 150k BTU Natural Gas Heater installed 6-2016