Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Super Pump 3/4 hp Pops circuit breaker

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Super Pump 3/4 hp Pops circuit breaker

My pool is at a vacation home in NY State, so it is mainly used weekends. The pump is controlled by a timer, and operates from 7AM to 5PM.

On Friday a few weeks ago, I found the circuit breaker had popped. I was able to reset it, so the pump was back in operation, and ran perfectly at least through Sunday.

The following week, I again found the circuit break popped. Again I was able to reset it, and the pump was back in operation. However, on Saturday morning, the pump once again popped the breaker, and this time I couldn't reset it. The timer showed that it was at start-up.

I disconnected the pump at the switch box next to the pool, and was able to reset the breaker. I tested the voltage at the switch box, and it was 115-120v. (My pump motor is set correctly). This also indicated the problem was in the pump itself.

I attached a plug to the end of the pump wires, and the pump started right up when I plugged it in the next morning.

It's a relatively new pump. My first Super Pump lasted 17 years. Its replacement was put out of action after 8 years because a garter snake crawled inside, and got barbecued.

I've checked the start capacitor, and it's okay, within tolerances.

I've installed a backup pump to get the pool running again, and haven't had any problems with the backup since.

Can anyone give me a suggestion what to check next? The pump runs perfectly, when it runs. What condition might be present at start-up that would cause it to pop the breaker?

Thanks. LH521
    20k GALS IG, HAYWARD SUPER PUMP, HAYWARD 300Lb Sand Filter, Vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Super Pump 3/4 hp Pops circuit breaker

Could be bad breaker. Is there any way to swap the breaker with another circuit (same size)?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Not easily. It's the only GFCI in that sub-panel. I would purchase a new one and install it, but we're closing down the pool next weekend (gets cold early in the mountains).

Why would you suspect the breaker, which wouldn't reset with the questionable pump in line, then did reset with the questionable pump removed, and hasn't popped in the three to four weeks the backup pump has been installed? That would seem to indicate a pump problem rather than a faulty breaker.

Or am I perhaps missing something? Can a breaker be tripped by one pump, and not by a similar pump?

Thanks. LH521

4. Back To Top    #4

The Superpump does have a centrifugal switch and if it is getting stuck sometimes on start, then that could trip the circuit breaker on start. But if it works sometimes, it would appear to be fine. You can inspect the springs and contacts to make sure everything is in working order.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Once a breaker trips, it just keeps getting "weaker". The springs simply wear out. Maybe that breaker is simply tripping at a low amp draw because it is worn out.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for the leads.

I will check the centrifugal switch, and replace the breaker, which is almost 30 years old.

As I'm closing the pool on Labor Day, I don't think I'll know if either suggestion solves the problem. But I have learned a couple of things, for which I am grateful.

LH521

7. Back To Top    #7

I disassembled the pump that was popping the circuit breaker, and, as in the first pump that died, found a cooked garter snake in it, up against the impeller end. The snake had crawled through one of the vent holes and through the coils.

Here's my next question: how do I keep the snakes out? I'm considering anchoring some aluminum screening across the vent holes with silicon, but I'm concerned that this might reduce the air flow to the motor.

What do you think?

Thank you for all your advice. LH521

8. Back To Top    #8

I wouldn't think a screen would decrease air flow enough to be a problem.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100