Test results, please advise

Mar 27, 2014
NW suburbs IL
I just completed the extensive tests on pool water.
FC-2
TC-2
CC-2
No change when adding R-002 or 3
PH-7.8 a bit higher then normal
TA-70
CH-125
CYA-30
Pool is 87- 89 degrees and crystal clear do I really need to add 5# of baking soda (to raise TA) and a but load of calcium chloride (to raise CH) as indicated on chart? I will add acid to bring PH down a bit . All I have been doing is using liquid chlorine daily, a few tablets floating to help keep chlorine up and adding muratic acid as needed.
Please advice
Thank-you

I just completed the extensive tests on pool water.
FC-2
TC-2
CC-2
No change when adding R-002 or 3
PH-7.8 a bit higher then normal
TA-70
CH-125
CYA-30
Pool is 87- 89 degrees and crystal clear do I really need to add 5# of baking soda (to raise TA) and a but load of calcium chloride (to raise CH) as indicated on chart? I will add acid to bring PH down a bit . All I have been doing is using liquid chlorine daily, a few tablets floating to help keep chlorine up and adding muratic acid as needed.
Please advice
Thank-you

Your FC is the lowest we recommend based off your CYA. We use a ratio for the FC/CYA. The higher the CYA is the higher the FC needs to be. With CYA at 30 your min is 2. Most pools see an average of 2ppm a day loss so a target of 4 to 5 is your best bet. Your TA should be fine at 70, at least for now. If you have wild swings with your pH then you can make a small adjustment with your TA. The TA is a buffer for your pH. You have a vinyl pool so calcium is really not needed. TFP recommends at least 50 and your already past that. Watch out for the pucks. They add both chlorine and CYA. For your pool that would be a little over 2ppm per 8oz puck. I also see you have the DPD test kit. What we recommend is the FAS-DPD kit. It will give you the accuracy with "higher than pool store" chlorine the TFP uses because of the FC/CYA relationship. You can order that kit from tftestkits.net and then have a full test kit. You can have a very clear trouble free pool if you follow advice here, but it's one or the other. TFP advice and pool store advice does not mix.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Moonlite,

Can you please point us to what chart you are referring to? The Calcium level in vinyl pools does not matter at all......do not add ANY to match ANY level. Ignore it all together and pretend it doesn't exist. Your TA level works to help control your pH level. As long as you don't have any wild pH swings then I wouldn't worry about increasing your TA level at all. The only number that jumps out to me is your CYA level. Bumping that number up to 40ish will help you out in the long run by reducing the amount of chlorine the sun consumes per day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.