Best Pool Vacuum?

Aug 17, 2014
McCalla Alabama
Hello.

Noobe here!:D

Ive read Pool School and a few threads n really enjoy this sight and the spirit of the people!!
I just ordered the TFT kit n waiting on delivery.

I had a pump motor failure and ended up with algea.
I have shocked pool.

Seems I am left with a cloudy pool and white algea layin on bottom
I believe I wanna vacuum to waste.

What is a good vacuum for my needs?

30000 gallon in ground pool.

Thank you for any and all responses!!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

For a manual vacuum, you'll need a telescopic pole, a vacuum head and a vacuum hose and a skimmer adapter plate. Do you have any of those?

For a pole, just about any will do that telescopes to about 20 feet. For a head, you'll want to get one that's designed for vinyl liners. They have nylon/plastic bristles and don't typically have wheels on the bottom. There are many shapes of vacuum heads. Some are triangular and good for getting into corners, others are more rectangular. Either will work. The vacuum hose is fairly universal but get a skimmer plate that matches the size of your skimmer based on the manufacturer of the skimmer. Most IG skimmers are Hayward but there are others.

Dead algae is usually a gray/brown color. That could be what you're seeing. If there is a lot of it covering most of the bottom, vacuum to waste. If there is not a lot, you can vacuum normally with your filter valve set to Filter. Do you have a working pressure gauge on the filter? If so, what is it reading and when was the last time you backwashed?

Get yourself started in Pool School starting with ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and read other articles that apply to your situation such as Defeating Algae. Posting pictures really helps too! If you need help with how to do that, see here Posting Photos Tutorial

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.