Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Possible broken plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

Possible broken plumbing

Loosing 1-2 inches of water a day whether the pump is on or not. I am assuming it is a break in the plumbing. Could the pool not have been closed properly last fall?

I noticed something wrong when vacuuming and hardly any suction then last week I got in the pool and noticed the water level was a few inches below normal. Filled it to the line and the next day it was down a few inches. Plugged the skimmer with the winter plug, filled the pool to the line and left the pump off over night. The next day the water level dropped 1-2 inches.

I noticed when shut the pump and closed both valves (Skimmer and Main) to keep pressure in the lines I can hear water running out of the line.
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Aqua Genie Skimmer/Return
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Sta-Rite 145361 Cristal-Flo II High-Rate Sand Filter 22Inch
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Possible broken plumbing

You can verify where it is if you believe it's in the lines (other than the main drain) by plugging the returns and the skimmer outlet hole manually with expansion or screw in plugs. I'd plug them all (isolate main drain) when you're not needing to circulate and monitor the water level and work your way through each line.

Can you be more specific about where you're hearing water running with pump off? Just water draining sounds at the equipment pad?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Possible broken plumbing

I never thought about plugging the outlet hole but I will do that tonight and see what happens.

When I turn the pump off and turn the skimmer and main valves off I hear water running out of the lines at the pad.
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Aqua Genie Skimmer/Return
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Sta-Rite 145361 Cristal-Flo II High-Rate Sand Filter 22Inch
    Taylor K-2006