SWG acceptable levels

Aug 25, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
So my salt cell wasn't calibrated and gave me an extremely low read out on my salt level. With that, I added salt. My new SWG and Leslies said I have a salt level of 5000ppm. Is keeping this level (cuz I don't want to drain 33% of my pool) acceptable? Or should I drain it?

Depends on the SWG.

That said, I would not trust Leslie's test results. If your SWG is happy, leave it be. If it reports high salt, again it depends on the SWG brand as to whether you need to drain or not - if your salt is actually 5000 ppm.

I highly recommend this test kit for testing salt. I have found it to be far more accurate than strips.
http://tftestkits.net/K-1766-Taylor-Salt-Test-p31.html
It isn't cheap, but it works.

Depending on what type of SWCG you have, you can go through a recalibration. Use silver nitrate to really know where your readings are. If they tested with a meter, remember meters go out of synch almost weekly and you are dependent on them recalibrating them.

If its an Aqua rite, you can quickly google how to reset it to the proper salt level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.