Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG acceptable levels

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG acceptable levels

So my salt cell wasn't calibrated and gave me an extremely low read out on my salt level. With that, I added salt. My new SWG and Leslies said I have a salt level of 5000ppm. Is keeping this level (cuz I don't want to drain 33% of my pool) acceptable? Or should I drain it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG acceptable levels

Depends on the SWG.

That said, I would not trust Leslie's test results. If your SWG is happy, leave it be. If it reports high salt, again it depends on the SWG brand as to whether you need to drain or not - if your salt is actually 5000 ppm.

I highly recommend this test kit for testing salt. I have found it to be far more accurate than strips.
    http://tftestkits.net/K-1766-Taylor-Salt-Test-p31.html
    It isn't cheap, but it works.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the test kit recommendation. Well, Leslies and my new SWG coincide. So I gotta believe the 5000ppm. The SWG is a T-9 cell with at 2700 to 3400 ppm recommendation. Thinking I'm gonna have to drain.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Depending on what type of SWCG you have, you can go through a recalibration. Use silver nitrate to really know where your readings are. If they tested with a meter, remember meters go out of synch almost weekly and you are dependent on them recalibrating them.

If its an Aqua rite, you can quickly google how to reset it to the proper salt level.

5. Back To Top    #5

You can not calibrate the Hayward SWGs.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!