Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

lion22

Aug 13, 2014
Monticello MN
Hello To All. I'm in process of doing a SLAM and have a question regarding testing. I have been using the 10ml line as I get my FC up. I read in another post on this site that you can do a 5ml sample to save on drops since the FC is gonna get very high. Is this correct? If so, will I need to find something that is 5ml since the Taylor's lowest fixed line is 10ml. Thanks.

I'd look for 10 mL graduated syringes at a farm supply or hardware store. I know Fleet Farm has them. Possibly Menards. I have several that came in a 3 pack. $5 or less for them. You can measure increments of 1 mL in them, perhaps even 0.5 graduations.

EDIT:
To clarify, yes you can use a 5 mL sample but then each drop is 1 FC/CC, at least with the TF-100. Unsure about with K-2006. Haven't used the FAS-DPD test in that one.

I'd look for 10 mL graduated syringes at a farm supply or hardware store. I know Fleet Farm has them. Possibly Menards. I have several that came in a 3 pack. $5 or less for them. You can measure increments of 1 mL in them, perhaps even 0.5 graduations.

EDIT:
To clarify, yes you can use a 5 mL sample but then each drop is 1 FC/CC, at least with the TF-100. Unsure about with K-2006. Haven't used the FAS-DPD test in that one.

Thanks for the response. So I guess 5 ml is about as low a sample level as you can go when the FC is gonna be extremely high during a SLAM?

Yes, you need to measure accurately 5ml (syringes sound like a great idea); or you could use the cup supplied with some cough syrups and /or Nyquil. Once you measure the 5ml and transfer to the comparator tube, go ahead and mark it. I'm guessing you could also measure/mark the mid-point between the base and the 10ml mark. As JVTrain mentioned, 1 drop using 5ml = 1PPM FC.

Thanks Dave. Prior to seeing your response I had thought of the cough syrup cup so I'm happy to hear U mention that. This is for sure MUCH BETTER in conserving kit materials. The only thing better would be a 1ml = 5PPM, but I guess that would be much like seeing a unicorn, lol. Thanks again.

Please realize that if you go to 5ml, that is not going to be accurate enough to know when you are done with the SLAM process. That is fine for while you are trying to keep a "rough" idea of the FC level in the middle of the SLAM though. You will need to switch back to the 10ml water sample for the OCLT and the CC tests at the end.

BTW, what is your CYA and just how high of a FC are you maintaining?

Please realize that if you go to 5ml, that is not going to be accurate enough to know when you are done with the SLAM process. That is fine for while you are trying to keep a "rough" idea of the FC level in the middle of the SLAM though. You will need to switch back to the 10ml water sample for the OCLT and the CC tests at the end.

BTW, what is your CYA and just how high of a FC are you maintaining?

Thanks Jason, I will use the 10ml for the OCLT/CC end tests. My CYA is 70, and as of late last nite (I need to test this morning again) I was at 16 FC and 2 CC (using the 5ml sample). One other thing, I also read in another post here that if the sample turns pink after one scoop of powder then a second scoop is not necessary. Is this correct? I'm all for saving drops/powder, but not at the expense of accuracy, particularly during this SLAM. Thanks.

As long as your 1 scoop is a heaping scoop, you should be fine. That's what I always do. Too little is a bad thing. If you added just a few grains of the reagent, it might turn pink but that's not enough for a proper test. A heaping scoop should be all you ever need and I wouldn't skimp. It is one of the more expensive reagents based on cost per test, but it's worth having enough to get an accurate result.

As long as your 1 scoop is a heaping scoop, you should be fine. That's what I always do. Too little is a bad thing. If you added just a few grains of the reagent, it might turn pink but that's not enough for a proper test. A heaping scoop should be all you ever need and I wouldn't skimp. It is one of the more expensive reagents based on cost per test, but it's worth having enough to get an accurate result.

Thanks Joel. I think I'll just use 2 level to be ultra sure until I am out of "novice" status, lol. One other thing, for you or anyone. What is the quickest way to get more of the R-0871? I want to ensure I don't run out, esp during this SLAM process. Thanks.

Order it and pay for overnight shipping ;)
... although not that much of a hurry.

If you order from tftestkits.net this morning, it will be in the mail today and likely to you in 2-3 days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Joel. I think I'll just use 2 level to be ultra sure until I am out of "novice" status, lol. One other thing, for you or anyone. What is the quickest way to get more of the R-0871? I want to ensure I don't run out, esp during this SLAM process. Thanks.

There are two types of testers with regards to DPD powder on TFP.

Type one - "Two Level Scoopers" - They pride themselves on super accuracy and consistent results. Their DPD powder is stored in a humidity controlled vessel to prevent clumping and discoloration. They level their scoops with a razor blade and have been known to calibrate their scoops using certified balances for weight checking. Scoops are ordered by the dozen from tftestkits.net in case they need a back up, but this also adds to the calibration workload.

Type two - "Heapers" - This groups prides themselves on being able to judge how much is "enough" based on the appearance of a scoopful alone. No leveling, no sifting, just a single heaper and it's off to the races, testing. Frequently, their scoops look like something out of a horror film torture chamber. Time and humidity have taken their toll on the scoop, now coated in a black and brown film of varying thickness. The scoop has certainly lost some capacity due to this coating, but the Heaper knows that just a little taller heap will even that out.

I'm firmly in the Heaper group...

One other question regarding reagents. I'm getting ready to order the 2oz R-0871 from the tftestkits site to ensure I don't run out during my present SLAM. I'm prob nearly thru my SLAM, and then will have appx another 6 weeks B/4 we close the pool. My Taylor K-2006 is brand new, just started using it when I started my SLAM. Is there any other reagent I should consider getting now, in addition to the 0871, just in case? I don't want to get anything I "most likely" won't need and have them sit all winter, but I don't want to run out during the SLAM and/or B/4 the season ends. Thanks.

I would get the XL Option kit. It includes the R-0871 and R-0870 powder at cheaper than if you bought them separately. They both should store well over the winter in a cool dry place, especially the powder. I use more of the Phenol Red than the OTO TC reagent so I order that one more often (because of when I do weekly (or more often) FAS-DPD tests I don't use OTO reagent but I do use the phenol red).

They will not go bad over the winter if you store them inside in a closet.

The K-2006 is pretty lacking in the CYA reagent department. So that would be a good thing to add (and it is very inert so will last a long time). I would get more R-0870 powder while you are ordering as well.

At a VERY ROUGH cost of 2 cents per drop, I would be hard pressed to modify the procedures from the 10 ml sample that both Taylor and TFTestkit suggest.

Assuming you test once weekly with the FAS/DPD test, you are spending around $1.5 - $2.00 per test of which you could save half..........$1.00

When you add in the confusion, Huge drop in accuracy, increased chance for a math error, etc., saving $1 per test doesn't seem so important given that you are managing a $20,000 - 40,0000 pool.

Obviously, I have an agenda in selling refills but I just don't see too much value in diluting the most precise test in the kit.

Dave, thanks for the info. Under normal conditions I would NEVER even consider modifying. I was just seeing if I could save some drops during this SLAM. My main concern is not even money, it's running out of the 0871 B/4 my refill gets here.

Speaking of refills, I just placed my order. I just want to tell you, the person I spoke with on the phone yesterday and this morning was SO pleasant and helpful. You for sure have my future business.

One last thing since I'm speaking 0871. I should have my refill by Fri/Sat. If I do run out B/4 then, is there some "tread water" procedure I can use so I don't regress my SLAM progress? I do have access to pool store testing, although the numbers are NEVER the same, lol (been getting them in addition to my Taylor testing just to compare for my own personal interest in seeing just how inaccurate their numbers can be). Anywho, any suggestions from you or anyone else are much appreciated. Thanks.

Your tread water mode would be to add 1 gallon of bleach per day. That would be the conservative approach. The aggressive approach is to look at what you've been adding each day during this SLAM and mimic that as long as the appearance or filter behavior hasn't changed significantly. This method could lead to over chlorinating and would be over the top. How much have you been adding each day during the SLAM? The conservative method would at least prevent losing the gains you've made so far.

Posting some test results from your SLAM would also be interesting... that and PICS!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.