Am I fighting algae?

PoolStudent

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2014
Central Florida
I have been testing my pool for a few weeks and I think I am fighting algae at the moment. It looks green/yellowish and when I vaccumed it, it seems move around like dirt. I noticed it a bit this week, but thought it was just pollen.

I haven't cleaned my filter in a few weeks, and I think this is part of the problem. It's a cartridge filter. When I cleaned it on Sunday it was spewing out green liquid.

CC was never higher than 0 throughout the week. FC was 7 at the lowest.

Test Results - 8/24
FC - 7
CC - 0
CYA - 38 ish
pH- 8.2
CH - 400
TA - 160

8/24 started SLAM, vaccumed pool and cleaned filter. Water looked cloudy after vaccuming and changed from greenish/yellowish to grayish cloudy.

8/25
FC - 17
CC - 0
pH - 7.8
Cleaned filter again.

Will continue SLAM until I pass the three tests
1. Clear water
2. overnight FC is under 1
3. CC is 0

Is it possible my filter is not working correctly as well? Am I fighting algae even though my CC was never over 0?

With your FC at 17 the pH test might not be accurate. If it gets down to 10 I'd retest the pH and adjust to 7.2 like RobbieH advised. The chlorine will work better (less expensive $$$) at the proper pH level. It's not a big deal but it's something that's easy to correct and then SLAM and MAINTAIN that SLAM FC level as best you can.

At FC above 10 the pH test isn't accurate which is why it's recommended to correct it before you start your SLAM and then not to bother testing again until after the SLAM is done.

So I got home and tested my numbers, and rinsed off the filter.

FC - 13.5
CC - between 0 and 0.5
Water cloudy can somewhat see the drain 7 feet down.

I then added some chlorine, 0.5 gallons to get to about 16 to 17 FC. I went ahead and did some stuff in the house for a bit. Then, I brushed the pool and my water definitely got cloudier, a grayish greenish color. I did the test for the overnight chlorine test.

FC - 18.5 (37 drops)
CC - 0

I will test my FC in the morning to see if I using more than 1 ppm overnight.

Should I brush the pool everyday during SLAM?

Please brush at least once a day and run the pump 24/7 until the end of your SLAM.

SLAM:

Test the FC level and add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (see here for correct shock level)
Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. As things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add chlorine less frequently.
Brush and/or vacuum the entire pool once a day
Backwash or clean the filter as needed
Vacuum up debris as needed

My water is still very murky but my OCTL was 1 ppm (35 drops) this morning. I cleaned the filter some and did a light brushing. I added a bit of chlorine to keep it above 16 FC for the whole day, 1/2 gallon.

How do I check if my filter is doing it's job? It is a cartridge filter.

It can take some time to filter out all the dead stuff. You just need to be patient. Give it a day and see if the water looks clearer. Is the pressure rising slowly day to day ??

I tested last night and this morning. I pass the OCTL test, and the pressure on my filter has gone up very little, under 1 psi difference from yesterday. I am using about 1 gallon of chlorine if that a day so far. The water hasn't really cleared up from yesterday.

I brushed and vacuumed yesterday and brushed some this morning. I did learn I did some things wrong with the vacuuming and found this video that is helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09sVvEKKHvY

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool has really cleared up a lot in the past day. I can see the drain from anywhere around the pool now. I have vacuumed and brushed at night and in the morning. I cleaned the filter after the psi went up by 2 and man the filter had a lot of green algae in it.

I'm hoping to be done with the SLAM by Sat or Sun, but the pool can be enjoyed now for the holiday weekend.

The last little bit of stuff floating around in the pool is proving to be a challenge to get rid of it. I am vacuuming the bottom twice a day and brushing the pool twice a day as well. Sometimes when I vacuum I open the pump output which is a hose connected at the top.

The pump is running 24/7 and for the most part is runs at low speed with a few hours at speed 2 of 4. When I vacuum I run the pump at speed 4.

I'm also cleaning the filter every couple of days.

Is there a better way to waste water from the pump during the vacuum? Any tips on getting the floating algae out of the pool?

Pool has really cleared up a lot in the past day. I can see the drain from anywhere around the pool now. I have vacuumed and brushed at night and in the morning. I cleaned the filter after the psi went up by 2 and man the filter had a lot of green algae in it.

I'm hoping to be done with the SLAM by Sat or Sun, but the pool can be enjoyed now for the holiday weekend.

I hate to break this to you, but it is unlikely that SLAM would be completed by Sat or Sun. That being said, it is safe to swim up to SLAM levels, provided you can see the bottom of the pool (for safety reasons).

The last little bit of stuff floating around in the pool is proving to be a challenge to get rid of it. I am vacuuming the bottom twice a day and brushing the pool twice a day as well. Sometimes when I vacuum I open the pump output which is a hose connected at the top.

The pump is running 24/7 and for the most part is runs at low speed with a few hours at speed 2 of 4. When I vacuum I run the pump at speed 4.

I'm also cleaning the filter every couple of days.

Is there a better way to waste water from the pump during the vacuum? Any tips on getting the floating algae out of the pool?
With a cartridge filter (could you add that detail to your signature please?) there isn't really any other way.

The water has quite of sparkle to it again! There is just a little bit of cloudiness and I didn't see anything really on the pool floor this morning.

I'm passing everything except having very clear water. Once I pass this, I will probably go one more day of SLAMing just to be safe.

I am getting small amounts of visible algae. My pool doesn't get too much sunlight and my FC is still at an 8 from last weekend. The algae seems to grow in a couple of spots which is what happened during my last SLAM.

Is this a case where adjusting my returns could solve my problems? Also, would getting a pool cleaner running help prevent my problems as well?

Yes and yes. Isolated algae in poor areas of circulation is best handled by changing the circulation pattern or otherwise getting water mixed in the region. If it's only in shady areas, yellow/mustard in color, and dust-like going into a cloud in the water if you try and move it, then that is yellow/mustard algae. Otherwise, it's probably regular green algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.