Starting up after Pool Rehab--Can I do this on my own?

Aug 23, 2012
St. Louis
I joined this forum a few years ago when we bought a home with a pool. The pool is a free-form gunite pool that holds ~ 33k gallons. I basically maintained it using pool store techniques, but I now have the perfect opportununity to switch to the TFP methods.

We decided to have the pool rehabbed by having the old coping, tile and marcite replaced. In the past week the pool has been stripped back to the shell and new coping, tile and pebble sheen plaster has been applied. The final steps take place tomorrow and we will begin refilling the pool.

I gather that my first steps will be to get the pump circulating once the pool is full. After that it seems I need to focus on balancing the PH, TA and CH. Once that is done I plan to start using liquid chlorine for sanitizing the pool.

I've searched the forums and cannot fine a thread that is exactly on point. Any advice would be appreciated.

Here is the guide we have here at TFP for new plaster start up found in Pool School, http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/154-start-up-new-pool-plaster.

The plaster company should give you their targets for start up. There are different types of start ups and what you need to control the first month is dependent on their start up. Find out what type of start up they are going to do and we can help some more once the pool is running.

Do you have one of the recommended test kits yet? The test kit is a must have and I recommend the TF-100, see my signature.

I had the pool company do my startup at a cost of $450, because I didn't want them to say my warranty was void due to me not performing the start up right. Also, it's a lot of brushing the first couple of weeks, and I travel a lot and couldn't be home to do all the brushing. But, it is absolutely something you can do yourself. As stated, the pool company should provide you directions on how to start it up, they did for me.

Water is clear, but with a green tint. It had that green tint from the beginning of the refill, so I don't think it is algae. Could it be some residue left over from the acid wash or a reaction between the tap water and the new plaster/pebblesheen?

Test Results (TF 100)
FC 1.5
CC 1.5
PH 9.7-10 Test registered off the chart, but estimated at 9.7-10 based on St. Louis County Water Quality Report
TA 70
CYA 0
CH 125

Day 1 Task (8/29/14)
Start filtration system, test, adjust TA and PH, brush, add sequestering agent, Do Not Add Chlorine for 48 hours

Pool finally finished filling today (8/29). Filtration system restarted and tested water. Based on pool math I added 128 oz by weight of baking soda (actually Leslies's Alkalinity Up because I had it on hand). Trying to hit target of 80-90. Next step according to start up instructions left by plastering company is to reduce PH. Pool Math says to add 188 oz of muriatic acid. to bring PH down to 7.2-7.6. I put 7.5 in the Pool Math calculator. Once that is done I'm to add the sequestration agent they left (Jack's Magic Magenta Stuff). They left 2 bottles which seems to be the right amount for my pool if 33,000 gallons is correct.

Day 2 Tasks (8/20/14)
Test, adjust TA and PH if needed, brush and bring CH up to 150 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.