Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slamming Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Slamming Pool

I have a green pool. I want to start the slamming process, but don't have the proper test kit yet. I have a city inspector breathing down my neck. I will be ordering the test this week. Is there any way I can just start dumping bleach into this pool to get a head start on the process? I understand this is not following protocol, but I need to get something going. I used some test strips to get me by until I get my test kit. The results are as follows :

CYA = 40
    TA = 120
    PH = 9.0
    FC. = 0

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Frustrated in PC

2. Back To Top    #2

Slamming Pool

It's tough with the guess strips, but drop your PH into the low 7's, 7.2 would be great. Use MA to drop PH.
    Add 2 1/2 gallons of bleach. I'd add that amount 2X a day. Your shock level is 14. Use Pool Math for your doseing of bleach and MA.
    When your test kit comes post up a full set of results and we can fine tune it. Remember to have your FC below 10 so you get an accurate test on the PH. It reads a false high at FC levels of 10 or more.
    Make sure to review SLAM Process
    Another good read if you need to refresh yourself. ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Slamming Pool

Thanks for the help. To show my ignorance, what is MA? So, are you saying I shouldn't add any bleach until I lower the ph? Just confirming.

4. Back To Top    #4

Slamming Pool

Muriatic Acid. You can get it at hardware stores, Lowes, HD. it'll be in the paint section. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

So, is it ok to add the bleach until I get the ma, or should I wait and add the bleach afterwards?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes. I would say the MA would be a good thing to get your hands on soon though. Is your filter system working properly and clean?

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

7. Back To Top    #7

Drop your PH first. Then add the bleach. 😎
    Jeff

8. Back To Top    #8

"Is your filter system working properly and clean?"

Yes, I cleaned it last week, but I would guess it is probably due for another backwash due to the green pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

Slamming Pool

I'm going to beaten for saying this, but this is one of the few times I'd say take your water samples to the pool store and have them test it. Most pool stores can give you a decent read on pH and FC. These are the parameters you most need to get right at this point.

And if no one else said it, you need to lower your pH BEFORE you start dumping bleach in. Bleach will raise your pH so you don't want it going sky high and causing other problems like calcium scaling.

Once you get your test kit, we can talk you in from there.

10. Back To Top    #10

pH is _WAY_ too high. Like high enough for me not to believe the strips.
    Under the circumstances, I think Sunny has a valid suggestion, let the pool store test your water.

Throw chlorine at it.
    Yes, the SLAM is a process and involves testing, and this is decidedly not a SLAM. But it can't hurt and at worst you waste a few extra gallons of bleach. On the plus side if the inspector comes a callin', you can show him all the empties as evidence that you're working on the problem and that should buy you a couple days to get a decent test kit.

I don't see a listing for the size of your pool, so I can't tell you how much to add, but PwrStrk's 2 1/2 gallon twice a day suggestion is as good a place to start as any.

As I understand it, the high pH is a problem _mostly_ because you can't measure pH with high chlorine levels (chlorine bleaches out the test colors). MA (Muriatic acid, or Hydrochloric acid - all the same stuff) should be available in some strength at any decent hardware or home center. Never understood why I sometimes find it in the paint department, but it's also often with the masonry tools and supplies - used to eat the cement off tools. My local Lowes and Home Depot have it in the garden center with a few other pool supplies.

Don't ever mix acid and bleach, don't add them to the pool at the same time. (a couple minutes and the other side of the pool is usually enough) It will liberate lots of chlorine gas and you will _not_ enjoy breathing it. Most packages will have recommendations to not even store them together.
    IG gunite 20k Gal (estimate), Nautilus NS-60 filter (D.E.), Single speed pump (unreadable nameplate - assume 1HP) on a crappy mechanical timer.
    And a worn-out Kreepy Kraully. TF-100.

11. Back To Top    #11

I added MA about 1.5 hours ago and tested with the test strips. Test strip read 6.8 for PH. Tomorrow morning I will add the 2.5 gal of bleach before I leave for work, then add another 2.5 gal when I get home that evening. Will that work for starters? I know I shouldn't trust the strips, but I live in a small rural town and the closest pool store doesn't open until after I leave for work and closes before I get home in the evenings. So, I am not sure what else to do until the test kit gets here.

12K gal, IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo Pump, 36 Sq Ft , Pentair NFS Plus 36 DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

It's as good of place to start as any.
    Poolmath suggests that 2.5 gallons of 8.25% will bring your FC up to about 20ppm, which is in the range for shock level at your reported CYA level.
    High levels of algae can consume that much chlorine in surprisingly short times, which is the heart of the "MAINTAIN" part of the SLAM. Ideally you would be testing and adding more chlorine every hour or so at the beginning of a SLAM. If your pool is a swamp, I would expect you to come home to approximately zero FC at the end of the day.

In the early stages of a SLAM, dead algae can collect in the filter quickly, often requiring backwash hourly. I would recommend caution leaving it running unattended.

If you have to do _something_ and it has to be unattended, I would probably add more chlorine than that, run the pump for 1/2 hour or so to mix it while you're there, then turn it off for the day. You should be ok with 2x that chlorine level. I've read that much higher chlorine levels can damage vinyl liners, so don't get too crazy.

I can't stress this enough - you need a good test kit. There's really no other way to know what's going on in your water. Doing anything without knowing what's going on is a bit like a band-aid on a broken leg.
    IG gunite 20k Gal (estimate), Nautilus NS-60 filter (D.E.), Single speed pump (unreadable nameplate - assume 1HP) on a crappy mechanical timer.
    And a worn-out Kreepy Kraully. TF-100.

13. Back To Top    #13

Do you know the link for ordering the TF100 Test Kit. If I order it online today, how soon can it get to me?
    Pool Data:

12K gal, IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo Pump, 36 Sq Ft Pentair NFS Plus 36 DE Fiter. Pool Built 3-7-2007

14. Back To Top    #14

http://www.tftestkits.net

It ships pretty darn fast!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

15. Back To Top    #15

I ordered mine on the 24th. It shipped the 25th and is nearby this afternoon. Going to be delivered tomorrow I'm sure. But I am only 200 miles from them so it could take a bit longer to get to you.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm going to beaten for saying this, but this is one of the few times I'd say take your water samples to the pool store and have them test it. Most pool stores can give you a decent read on pH and FC. These are the parameters you most need to get right at this point.
    And where are the Moderators with the pool noodle for the beating when you need them....

Just hang in there Irkey, it will seem like a distant memory once you get it taken care of. Just remember why it turned green in the first place.......
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

I'm concerned that you might have dropped your PH too low. When making large adjustments, it is best to do it two or more steps to make sure that you don't overshoot your target. Your PH could very well be lower than 6.8. It is difficult to make suggestions based on guess-strips.

You need your pH to be 7.2 before you start your SLAM.

I'm sure your DE filter is clogging quickly, make sure that you backwash when the pressure rises 20 to 25%. You could put your multiport value to recirculate so that you don't waste DE powder while you are waiting for your test kit.

While you are waiting make sure that you scoop out all organic matter that may be in the pool.

Double check your pool size or your use the pool math calculator to figure out why you dropped your PH so low.

Read and re-read the pool school articles.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by one_knight4u View Post
    And where are the Moderators with the pool noodle for the beating when you need them....

Just hang in there Irkey, it will seem like a distant memory once you get it taken care of. Just remember why it turned green in the first place.......
    I think I'd rather take my chances with the three-man super soaker firing squad ....

19. Back To Top    #19

I just ordered my TF100 Test Kit. I ordered it UPS 2nd Day Air. I am hoping it will be here by Thursday. (The operative word is "hoping")
    Pool Data:

12K gal, IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo Pump, 36 Sq Ft Pentair NFS Plus 36 DE Fiter. Pool Built 3-7-2007

20. Back To Top    #20

It is getting ready to rain here. How is the rain going to effect this process. Test kit will hopefully be here tomorrow, just in time for the rain on Friday (woopee)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast