Barboursville Virginia

PH will not go down

I received my new TF 100 test kit my readings for the last three days are:

FC 4
    CC 0
    PH 8.0
    TA 110
    CYA 30

I can not get my PH down. I have added 5 pounds of dry acid but my PH is still at 8. Should I adjust the TA down first?
    17,500 gallon AG round pool, Haywood sand filter. Stopped using pucks and Chlorinator . Using liquid bleach only 8%.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: PH will not go down

Keep slowly adding acid. You may be up above 8.0 and at the limits of the test. Keep slowly adding acid until you see the drop in pH.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

As Tim said, you have to just use PoolMath to determine the amount of acid required to reach your target and add it. Then test in 30-60 minutes and see if you hit the target or if you need to add more.

BTW, it is usually advisable to use muriatic acid instead of the dry acid which add sulfates to the water.

Also, you can not lower the TA without lowering the pH ... they are related to each other and your TA is really not that high anyway.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

One has to remeber that pH is a logaritmic scale. Close to pH 7 a certain amount of acid will make a much bigger change than at pH 8.
    South of France inground rectangular 17k pool - ruber membrane. Sliding dome, black thermal blanket covering 75% of the pool surface. Aqualux 3/4Hp pump, glass media sand filter, Zodillac robot, 110W UV-c lamp, Hayward brominator, Caliente 12kW heat pump.