Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I replace my filter next year?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I replace my filter next year?

I have a Hayward DE-3620 filter (came with the house 4 years ago) which I have never cleaned as it is my understanding that they don't make the D-ring necessary to seal it properly. I backwash as thorough as I can when I close the pool and I don't have any issues with it. I'm going to replace my heater next year, should I also replace the filter? If so, what model? I am happy with a DE filter, so I would prefer to stay with DE.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I replace my filter next year?

Is this the part you are looking for: http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07501352015752.htm
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

it is but according to a quick search, that's not a d-ring, it's an o-ring, and according to other threads that have used similar o-rings, they leak after re-assemble.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

What about the new o-ring used that is shown as #11 on page 10: http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manu...rid-DExx20.pdf

Perhaps it has been redesigned.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I am not following your logic. Why can't you open up the filter and follow the DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial?

My filter is over 5 years old with an o-ring and I open it up a few times a year and never have a problem with it sealing.

There was a redesign at some point for the clamp and seal (the last link Mark posted mentions a metal reinforced seal), I am pretty sure I have the older clamp and seal (shown in the tutorial). If you put the clamp on correctly as I describe in the tutorial, then there should be no problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

The filter in the link is not my filter, this is my filter: http://www.poolcenter.com/p/micro-clear-stainless-steel
    it looks like mine is a DE-3620 microclear and the other is a Pro-grid. Did Hayward manufacture two models with the same model #?

parts 7 and 8 say NLA, No Longer Available.

There was also a sticky thread, which I can't find now, which documented how hayward stopped making this part and it was expected, by them, for the customer to go ahead and get a new filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

But there are some retailers that still seem them. Are you saying those are no good and leak? Seems like almost any o-ring that fit could be made to work. A little pool lube can usually seal almost any o-ring. Have you experienced this problem directly? Or is this just hear-say?

http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07501352023054.htm
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Considering that:
    1. a new O-ring can be purchased for about $10. (aftermarket replacement part, OEM not avail)
    2. a clamp assembly is less than $100 if you need that.
    3. virtually all other replacement parts are the same as and interchangeable with the newer filters.
    4. your stainless steel filter tank will last forever and is far superior to all the current plastic ones
    I would keep that filter as long as possible.

I had had one like it on my previous pool, it was 35 years old and functioned perfectly.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

so I went from "I know what I want...I want to replace my filter, why don't you just answer my question" , to "hmmm...you're making sense"

where can I get a clamp assembly as the parts diagram says NLA?

10. Back To Top    #10

Search for the part # on the web and some retailers may still have one.

http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/d...g-assy/43190p1

http://pool-supplies.value-depot.co/...blies-dex360j/
    Mark

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Just Google the part numbers, (DEX360J for the clamp and DEX360K for the O-ring) and you will find several sources for each. The clamp seems to run right around $100 and the O-ring being and after-market part has prices all over the map, with many being under $10.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit