Liner patch suggestions - 2" tear in corner above waterline

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
Hi guys, I have been reading and surfing your site for a few weeks. Learning how to be a pool owner, and this is my first post, i need some help. I just bought a house with a liner about a month ago. Homeowner showed a receipt for the liner that said it was 5 years old. Inspector did not find the small tear in the corner, so guess it is my problem now. Can anyone recommend a good patch repair kit? was wanting do do something clear, but most importantly was hopping to get another 3 years out of it, looks is second to quality.

Can you post a pic of the tear ? ?

Unfortunately I can't until maybe tomorrow from my wife's phone if I can get that to work. We have no internet access at that house for the moment. For the time being I will attempt to describe the tear and the area. The tear is about 2 inches wide and about 3/4" tall, shaped like a football. The long side is about parallel to the water level, it is a little crooked. The pool is rectangle shaped and the tear is in one of the corners, the corners are not 90 degrees, they curve, and the length of the arch created by that curve is probably about 8 inches.

As a victim of a bad contractor out of money and no other option, I repaired a big square hole in my pool the size of a through the wall skimmer. My first attempt with a patch failed but my second attempt has been holding all season. Using a good fishing line like fire line that is small diameter with strength and flexibility you can sew up the tear as the initial step. I went to Wal-mart's craft section and bought curved needles that could accommodate the fishing line. Please note- My liner is kevlar so it has scrim embedded and this gave me something for the sutures to hold to. I have heard of the sewing method working with regular vinyl liners for the linear type tear you describe.

I sent off to my pool manufacturer for extra pool material and paid around $100 for a couple of patches. Make sure you find out what the liner is made from (my pool is all one unit with support poles so they have to sacrifice another pool for the material). If you still have that receipt, give the manufacturer a call. My pool is actually PVC type material coating the scrim material I described and the manufacturer told me regular vinyl adhesive like the most commonly reccomended Boxers would not work with my pool. Instead they sent me Vyna Bond that works with my material- the point is find out what you are working with and what works with it :)

I actually had my pool taken down and put in my garage to work on it. If you are not able to do that work above the water line if possible and if you can't do that the adhesives are designed to work underwater. After sewing, I placed a patch that allowed 2-3inches overlap on all sides. I bought a silicone seam roller tool to roll the patch on from the center outward with special attention paid to the edges. I placed a heavy object on top and allowed it to dry 24 or more hours. Next I followed the same process with a second larger patch that allowed another 2-3 inches overlap on all sides.

This may be overkill for your tear but I bet it will hold. Tears are not uncommon and patches can hold for many years. Enjoy your new pool!

The Boxer Adhesives patch kit has a good reputation. Cut the patch 2x the size of the hole, round the corners and apply as directed. Then cut a larger patch and place it on top of the first one. It should work for your situation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.