Barracuda Ranger only works when pump is set to waste

Aug 24, 2014
Amarillo, tx
I have had a diver dave in the past and he worked good but after 4 years the gears wore out. So this year I decided to try something new and went with the Barracuda Ranger. It works wonderfully but only on the waste setting and I hate to waste my water.

When it is primed and turned to filter it works for about 5-10 minutes before it just totally looses suction. But when set to waste it never looses suction and goes right along.

It is driving me crazy, I have checked and rechecked every hose I have. When set to filter with the skimmer it works fine, no water bubbles. It has been backwashed, reprimed, talked nicely too and gotten dirty looks. It just wont last in filter mode with the ranger attached.

I am going to give it another few tries before I return it and go back to dave.

I have a 16x32 intex agp with an intex 2650 sand filter with a swg. I have modified intakes and outtakes to take 1 1/2 hoses.

The pool is clean aside from random spots of dirt and a few random leaves, chemicals are great, and the water is crystal clear.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a ranger too and it runs for so long (about 15 mins) then the skimmer and pump fill with air and then it stops working. When it does work it only goes one direction and gets stuck at the bottom of the deep end. I finally gave up and have it in a closet now. Good luck with it. I have never found anyone with enough working knowledge of it to resolve the issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.