Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: This is a long shot, but.....

1. Back To Top    #1

This is a long shot, but.....

Here goes. I have a Raypak RP1200 heater that has worked fine other than the LED (?) display was impossible to read. I decided to try racing the membrane switch decal that has a thin layer of plastic that covers the display and also has the mode button and the temperature up and down buttons. I replaced it today but when I took the heater apart, I discovered it was the display itself and not the decal.

Looking at the display, it seemed to have a thick plastic cover over it that was distorted, dirty and blackened. Here is a picture.

Using WD40 and some alcohol, I was able to get the gummy stuff off the display to the point it looked fairly clean and I was pretty optimistic that I would be able to see the display clearly. I put it all back together and turned on the switch. NOTHING!!!!! No display whatsoever!

I don't know if I wired something incorrectly or I destroyed the display trying to remove the plastic film and clean it.

I wonder if it is possible just to solder in a new display? Problem is I don't see a part number.

Any ideas?
    30,000 plaster in-ground pool with spa; 2.5HP single speed Centurion pump; Raypak RP2100 propane heater; Polaris 280 with pump, waterfall with separate pump, Triton II commercial sand filter; TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: This is a long shot, but.....

Unfortunately the display is shot. This is typical on the older boards. If you can find just the display module you might be able to unsolder the old and then solder the new one on. I've never had luck doing this in the past on other boards.

Good luck and if you can't find the part you can surely buy a replacement board off of Ebay.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

On my old RP2100 the displays last about a year. When the display got hot you can't see anything. The last newer board I had had a white display back round which was ok. I replaced my RP2100 heater with a new one last year. I have a remote system so I read everything on the remote system and never look at the control board. The LCD readouts they use are not good.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Billrector, does your display have a ribbon cable that goes thru the board to the black socket in the back? And it also has the red/black wire from the display to the back of the board?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Billrector, does your display have a ribbon cable that goes thru the board to the black socket in the back? And it also has the red/black wire from the display to the back of the board?
    The control board has a ribbon cable, but it just connects to the decal panel that has the mode and temperature up and down buttons.
    30,000 plaster in-ground pool with spa; 2.5HP single speed Centurion pump; Raypak RP2100 propane heater; Polaris 280 with pump, waterfall with separate pump, Triton II commercial sand filter; TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Look on the side of the board that has all of the resistors and down in the corner by the name Raypak there is a P/N and some numbers. Are the numbers 601769?
    Paul

7. Back To Top    #7

Part number is 601588

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Yeah that's an older board. Not sure you will be able to find a display for it.
    Paul

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks guys....just ordered a new replacement board.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

You should end up with a newer board that you could actually replace the display just by popping it off the board if need be.

Good luck.
    Paul