burning eyes

Vince-1961

Jul 1, 2014
St. Simons Island, GA
I don't understand why my eyes are burning, both b4 and after a really hard, long rain that overfilled the pool. After rain test results are: FC 4.5, combined chlorine (calcium carbonate) 0, pH 7.6, TA 80, borate 50. didn't test CYA but it was about 90 about a week ago. As for salt level, the SWCG is happy. Water is clear and feels great!

Any ideas?

From those numbers your eyes should not be having burning issues, unless you have them open a lot. All water will effect the eyes if they are opened long enough underwater. As you posted, the rainwater had nothing to do with it and the water is balanced chemical wise.

Do you still have the burning today?

Vince-1961,

I'd like to start off by welcoming to the forum! I hope we can figure out this issue for you.

For starters, let's verify a few quick questions.
  • What are you using to test your pool with?
  • You state your CC is zero, with clear water. Can you please post a photo?
  • When your eye's start burning........how long have you been in the water?

Duraleigh, ph tested at 7.6 after the rain per the original post.

ping, I didn't get in pool today as I am just now getting home.

RobbieH, the instructions on the inside of the lid of the taylor K-2006 test kit says to record
combined chlorine as "calcium carbonate". I thought that was an odd instruction, but ...hey....whatever.

Leebo, Taylor k-2006 is test kit. It's dark now, so no photo. I was not underwater very long at all. 3, maybe 4 dunks with eyes open. Otherwise, my eyes were out of the water. The entire swim was less than 20 minutes.

I'll run tests tomorrow morning and maybe get a photo or even get in and open eyes underwater if I have time.

Do you know what your pH usually tests at? One of the things many of us seem to be dancing around is that whatever the pH was after the rain, is it much different than the level before the rain?

Regardless of number, if it changed, then that's one potential cause.

Anther question, related to combined chlorine...do you smell more of a chlorine smell than usual? Regardless of test results, if you smell more chlorine smell, that's an indication of CC, which can sting eyes. Even it is or was present, there are some reasons why if might not have been in your test sample, leading to a 0 CC test.

I am pretty sure I got that right...I just went through this myself, and am somewhat parroting what i was told a week or two ago.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it's any consolation, sometimes my eyes burn a little after I am out of my pool for a bit. I have my eyes open a LOT underwater while I'm swimming. I haven't found any correlation between my chemistry and my eyes. Maybe it's just the amount of contact my eyes have with the water that varies from one swim session to the next. We've only had the pool for two months, so maybe eventually I'll discover the correlation. Maybe it is ph. I keep it 7.4-7.7 always.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.