Nightmare of green

Jun 8, 2013
Nebraska
I have a vinyl 10700 gallon above ground pool. Had been a good summer, but now it's terribly green. numbers after using my k-2006 FAS-DDP test kit are as follows.
TA=125
PH=well below 7.0 took 20 drops to raise color to 7.4
FC=.5
CC=.5
cya=below 30 as filled tube completely and still can see dot in test bottle (about out of reagents too now)

Salt level reads as almost 3780 which drives me nuts cuz my swg says low salt and it wont run now.

anyway I've read so many of these forums and tried the slam but nothing working as my TA and PH are jacked so havent added bleach or anything all day. it's in direct sun..had been putting in bleach last couple days to no avail, but had forgotten to get TA and PH right along with CYA.
I have added just over 3 lbs of CYA today and a gallon of muriatic acid, and then a box of baking soda 4 lbs, and two 76 oz boxes of borax (like an idiot) read a column wrong i'm guessing. anyway TA had gone down but after borax naturally now its back at 125 and PH still low. Just started to aerate hoping PH will climb up on its own now, but wondering how long before i can get bleach going again. DAYS? hours?

It would be helpful of you added your pools info to your signature as outlined here :lookhere: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

You have a SWG so you should have been closer to 70-80ppm CYA. What I don't understand is why you'd add it now knowing you are going to SLAM the pool and it will just increase the amount of bleach you'll need to use ?? What level did you target by adding the three pounds of stabilizer ??

I'd add washing soda (NOT baking soda) to bring the pH up to 7.2 and start to add bleach (SLAM) now.

Now that you've added all those chemicals what are your new levels at ?? Forget the CYA as it won't show up for a week and to test it any sooner is just a waste of test chemicals.

Attachments

• Washing Soda.jpg
    Washing Soda.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 128
thanks for the pic i'm a visual person :) Always thought it was baking soda not washing soda...but I will go see if I cant get some washing soda quicklike. I was hoping to get the cya up to at least 30 before starting slam as I read that was important (apparently I was wrong). levels currently after a putting in chemicals and waiting all day are now:
0 FC and CC
125 TA
PH is below 7.0 as thats lowest reading I have

I had to add 15 drops to get the PH level to read 7.5 an hour or so ago I had to add 20 so aerating is making it come up slowly it appears. question is, it's getting close to sunset, house is blocking the sun now, can I add bleach yet or wait till PH is correct??

I'm just an idiot so I try to protect others. Baking soda will raise TA but it's washing soda you need to raise pH. Since both can be "Arm & Hammer" it's sooooooooo easy to grab the wrong one.

20-30 for CYA is a good place to be for a SLAM. You need some to keep the chlorine from being eaten by the sun during the day but not so much that you're pouring in gallon after gallon of bleach just to get to SLAM level.
When you said below 30 for your CYA I didn't know if that was 10, 15, 25 and if you added 3lbs you likely raised whatever it was by almost 35 points !!

What are you going to use for a CYA level for your SLAM ??
If your latest pH reading was 7.5 SLAM away.

I'm just an idiot so I try to protect others. Baking soda with raise TA but it's washing soda you need to raise pH. Since both can be "Arm & Hammer" it's sooooooooo easy to grab the wrong one.

20-30 for CYA is a good place to be for a SLAM. You need some to keep the chlorine from being eaten by the sun during the day but not so much that you're pouring in gallon after gallon of bleach just to get to SLAM level.
When you said below 30 for your CYA I didn't know if that was 10, 15, 25 and if you added 3lbs you likely raised whatever it was by almost 35 points !!

What are you going to use for a CYA level for your SLAM ??
If your latest pH reading was 7.5 SLAM away.

I actually always thought it was baking soda not Washing soda so who's the real idiot here?? Def. me! Anyway, my PH is low still in the mid 6 level I'm thinking as my test kit only shows 7.0 as the low end and it's a bit below that color wise...I poured in that CYA this morning and it's starting to show up on the test strip as I ran out of reagent to test via the taylor kit. But it's showing its pretty low still. SOOOO figured at least there is SOME in the water now and will worry about that later. Gotta get the PH figured out now. wife went to get the RIGHT arm and hammer product this time so will add when she gets home wait another hour I suppose test it and dump some bleach in before bed I guess. sigh..think this is gonna take some major time and time i don't have much of. early morning and late night will have to be it for now..am thinking i'll put the solar cover on to keep sun off at least tomorrow during day.

Well, don't worry about testing the CYA for a week as it can take that long to show up. You need to calculate where it will end up in six days and use that number for your SLAM for now until you physically test again in six days.

You need to have a CYA level to determine your SLAM FC level. You need to do the pH before your FC gets over 10ppm as after that point it might not be accurate and it's best to just continue the SLAM and forget the pH until the SLAM is completed. Or, if you let the FC drop due to life getting in the way it's a chance to test pH, adjust and then add the bleach back to SLAM level.

The fastest and most efficient way to SLAM is to maintain the FC at SLAM level all the time. If you let it drop it will take longer and consume more bleach $$$.

Don't give the TA another thought (other than don't raise it any further!) until you get all the other stuff figured out. (Post SLAM) Take a deep breath, and make sure you use the correct values for your targeted CYA level and keep the chlorine at that level as much as possible until you meet all three criteria for stopping. Good luck!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Relax, sit back and think about what you are going to do. Make sure you understand your plan before you execute it. If there is some part of your plan that you dont quite understand, just ask for clarification. There are alot of members here who will give you the very best advice out there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.