Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster Crack--Should I Fix?

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster Crack--Should I Fix?

I just bought a house with a pool. This is my first pool and I have found this site very useful. Thank you for all of the good information.

The pool has a crack in the plaster on the entry stairs. See the attached photos.

Should I fix this crack now, or is it not an issue? (I am currently draining the pool because CYA is at 150.)

If I need to fix this I found this online: http://www.poolcenter.com/surfaceRepair

Is this a good method to repair this crack? How is this as a DIY?

Thank you in advance.

image.jpgimage.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Plaster Crack--Should I Fix?

I have never done that exact type of work but I would fix it.....even if just for aesthetics.

Any polyurethane caulk applied to a DRY surface will work nicely
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

That's a pretty good sized crack. You are probably at the point where you should have the pool refinished instead of trying to patch it. How is the rest of the finish on the pool?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    That's a pretty good sized crack. You are probably at the point where you should have the pool refinished instead of trying to patch it. How is the rest of the finish on the pool?
    The pool is 12 years old. I am assuming it is the original finish. I think it looks fine, but I do not have a frame of reference to know what may be wrong.

Here is a photo of what the worst part looks like.

image.jpg

The surface of the pool seems good with the exception of the crack.

What does refinishing entail? How often should a plaster surface be refinished?

Thank you.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Refinishing entails chipping off the old finish and then prepping the concrete shell to accept the new finish. Sometimes you can do an acid wash and the finish is good to go. But you can only do that so many times before you just need to replace it. I really wonder if there is something under the crack that you need to address. You wouldn't know until you chip some of it away to get a look. I've seen pool finishes last a very long time but that depends on how well the water is maintained thru the years. Looking at your pictures tells me that you're probably close to needing it done.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Refinishing entails chipping off the old finish and then prepping the concrete shell to accept the new finish. Sometimes you can do an acid wash and the finish is good to go. But you can only do that so many times before you just need to replace it. I really wonder if there is something under the crack that you need to address. You wouldn't know until you chip some of it away to get a look. I've seen pool finishes last a very long time but that depends on how well the water is maintained thru the years. Looking at your pictures tells me that you're probably close to needing it done.
    Paul, thank you for the information.

7. Back To Top    #7

I can't tell how serious or deep the crack is from the pictures. But I agree with Paul your plaster looks old.

For a serious course on DIY crack repair see this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ration-project

He has more serious cracking than you do probably, but it shows you the process.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I have never done that exact type of work but I would fix it.....even if just for aesthetics.

Any polyurethane caulk applied to a DRY surface will work nicely
    Thank you to all for the help. For those seeking closure, here is what I did.

The crack was not too big or deep so I looked into polyurethane caulk. What I could find locally was not meant for use underwater. I ended up sealing the crack with A+B Epoxy Putty. This appears to have sealed nicely, which is my main concern. From an aesthetic perspective, it is noticeable but looks much better.