Plaster Crack--Should I Fix?

Zhp

Aug 24, 2014
Belmont, GA
I just bought a house with a pool. This is my first pool and I have found this site very useful. Thank you for all of the good information.

The pool has a crack in the plaster on the entry stairs. See the attached photos.

Should I fix this crack now, or is it not an issue? (I am currently draining the pool because CYA is at 150.)

If I need to fix this I found this online: http://www.poolcenter.com/surfaceRepair

Is this a good method to repair this crack? How is this as a DIY?

Thank you in advance.

image.jpgimage.jpg

That's a pretty good sized crack. You are probably at the point where you should have the pool refinished instead of trying to patch it. How is the rest of the finish on the pool?

That's a pretty good sized crack. You are probably at the point where you should have the pool refinished instead of trying to patch it. How is the rest of the finish on the pool?

The pool is 12 years old. I am assuming it is the original finish. I think it looks fine, but I do not have a frame of reference to know what may be wrong.

Here is a photo of what the worst part looks like.

image.jpg

The surface of the pool seems good with the exception of the crack.

What does refinishing entail? How often should a plaster surface be refinished?

Thank you.

Refinishing entails chipping off the old finish and then prepping the concrete shell to accept the new finish. Sometimes you can do an acid wash and the finish is good to go. But you can only do that so many times before you just need to replace it. I really wonder if there is something under the crack that you need to address. You wouldn't know until you chip some of it away to get a look. I've seen pool finishes last a very long time but that depends on how well the water is maintained thru the years. Looking at your pictures tells me that you're probably close to needing it done.

Refinishing entails chipping off the old finish and then prepping the concrete shell to accept the new finish. Sometimes you can do an acid wash and the finish is good to go. But you can only do that so many times before you just need to replace it. I really wonder if there is something under the crack that you need to address. You wouldn't know until you chip some of it away to get a look. I've seen pool finishes last a very long time but that depends on how well the water is maintained thru the years. Looking at your pictures tells me that you're probably close to needing it done.

Paul, thank you for the information.

I have never done that exact type of work but I would fix it.....even if just for aesthetics.

Any polyurethane caulk applied to a DRY surface will work nicely

Thank you to all for the help. For those seeking closure, here is what I did.

The crack was not too big or deep so I looked into polyurethane caulk. What I could find locally was not meant for use underwater. I ended up sealing the crack with A+B Epoxy Putty. This appears to have sealed nicely, which is my main concern. From an aesthetic perspective, it is noticeable but looks much better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.