Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sonarguard

1. Back To Top    #1

Question sonarguard

well we are at that stage where we need to figure out the safety aspect of our pool. no room for a fence. we like a good breeze so door/window alarms are out. don't really want unsightly alarms everywhere or nets or covers that need to screw into my new deck and take so much time to install/remove they wont be efficient.
    so, anyway, we found something called sonarguard which seems great. always on, out of site, remote signaling, etc. sure it looks pricey but how can you a price on life safety?
    i must also mention that we have (besides our own children) a foster child. dcfs is pretty strict about certain things. like safety. it seems they approve of sonarguard. another plus.
    now for the down side, this system seems to have disappeared into the depths along with megaladon. i can only find the highest praises for it up until 2009 and then it disappears into the murky waters. huh? how did it just fall off the map?
    the website says they are working on an improved version but the page is dated '09.
    i cant find any up to date info on this system. it can be purchased on ebay, but why did it go away? did something happen that no one is willing to talk about? strange.
    if anybody knows anything about sonarguard please let me know. now im curious and would even be willing to watch a discovery channel mocumentary on it.
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: sonarguard

They still have a website, but this message comes up as a pop up. You may not see it if you have a pop up blocker running

Sonarguard.JPG
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I can only speculate that the the system was not an approved primary safety method in most jurisdictions and may have disappeared. I know around here you have to use a fence or alarmed doors and windows. Those are the only options.

How is there not room for a fence? You might be able to use the temporary/removable fencing. You just have some holes in the deck and the posts are set into them and easy install and remove. Of course not as safe as a permanently installed fence.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes I have seen that pop up on the website. It's from 2009.
    We will only have about 10' from the back of house to pool after the addition goes in. Not excited about a fence taking up what little patio area we will have. Of course we have considered a mesh removable fence and will more than likely have to install one as we'll. just looking for other options.
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

5. Back To Top    #5

You should talk to your PB. I believe only self closing fences and door alarms are approved for use as primary barriers in California. So I strongly suspect you will have to have operating door alarms or a code compliant fence prior to plastering.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

Alarms are not substitutes for fences. You still need a fence and door and window alarms to meet code in most municipalities. I'd be afraid your insurance company would probably dump you in a second if you have an un-fenced inground pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

In California, your pool must be surrounded by a "un-climbale barrier." Your house can be part of the barrier so long as all doors from the house to the pool are alarmed.

Your fence, must have self closing gates with latches more than 54" above grade. All of this must be in place pre-plaster. Your pool builder can tell you about any local interpretations.

Pools are common in LA county so your insurance company has already taken that into account in setting its rates. In short, in my experience California insurance companies don't care.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

I will talk to pool builder again about it. Likely we will also install a removable mesh fence as well line I said.
    From what I have read though the requirement is one of the approx 7 different things on the list. Fence or alarm or etc. not all.
    Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

9. Back To Top    #9

If you have a automatic safety cover, that's all you need, at least in Sonoma county. With the free form it requires rails mounted to the deck as opposed to under the coping with a rectangle.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

Called sonarguard today. No answer. Left message. See If I get a return call.