Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Main drain plumed through skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Main drain plumed through skimmer

Hello TFP. This was my first year owning a pool and thanks to this forum it was a breeze. The advice given in previous threads has been so thorough I haven't had a need to post until now. People I know who have had pools for years are now asking me for advice...

I'll be closing my 27000 gallon Vinyl lined IG pool next week. I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do with the exception of the main drain. My pools main drain is plumed through the skimmer. There are two holes in the bottom of the skimmer. One goes to the main drain and the other to the pump. There is a valve similar to this in the skimmer to control flow http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07...f8GGgIaF_D_BwE

Advice I've seen for blowing out the main drain is to blow air through the pipes at the filter pad and close off the main drain valve once air is bubbling from the main drain. My issue is there is no main drain valve to close off. I can try to blow out the main drain from the hole in the skimmer but as soon as I stop blowing air to try to cap the hole won't the line fill back up with water?

Is my only option to just pour some antifreeze in and cap it off? Thanks for the help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Main drain plumed through skimmer

Hello and welcome to TFP!

I hope someone else can chime in and help. We don't winterize/close here.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I think if you try to blow out the line and then seal it, it will eventually leak and allow water back into the line. I think you are better off using a pool antifreeze product in the main drain line.

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Openin...c-Anti-Freeze/
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your help. I found a better picture to possibly help people understand how my pool is set up.

From what I can tell the only option is to just dump some antifreeze into the main drain hole. the entire main drain pipe from the skimmer to the main drain is underground so I don't think freezing should be too much of a concern.
    18'x36' IG Vinyl, 26,700 gal.: Hayward 270T Sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I think that is normally what is done. Just slowly pour antifreeze into the main drain pipe until you see a bit by the drain in the pool.

I would think blowing out the line and then quickly plugging the hole should work as well. There would at least be some air in the pipe and all for expansion of the water if it did freeze (not that it will that deep anyway). Actually, I might prefer this method as then there would not be water in the pipe up by the skimmer that could freeze. Although I see what Mark is saying about the plug leaking and allowing the pipe to refill. Is there no concern about the pipes up near the skimmer getting damaged since there is not antifreeze up there?

DISCLAIMER: I have never closed a pool before
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!