Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to make a decision on SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to make a decision on SWG

We're in the process of building a large in ground free form pool (42'x22')+ spa. My head is spinning on whether a SWG is healthy for my family or not. I've read they'll dehydrate your body, create dangerous chemicals etc. I honestly cant make up my mind. Is there a definitive, unbiased place to read up on the safety of salt water pools?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to make a decision on SWG

Quote Originally Posted by texasmeat View Post
    We're in the process of building a large in ground free form pool (42'x22')+ spa. My head is spinning on whether a SWG is healthy for my family or not. I've read they'll dehydrate your body, create dangerous chemicals etc. I honestly cant make up my mind. Is there a definitive, unbiased place to read up on the safety of salt water pools?
    We are on our 2nd salt pool (we moved from Florida to Virginia and had to start over). In my opinion a salt pool does not dehydrate your skin or hair, and actually feels better than a chlorine pool, which IMO does dehydrate. I don't know what dangerous chemicals it could possibly be creating???

I think pool companies don't like to sell salt systems because it reduces their sales over time, since you aren't spending all of your money on chemicals, and therefore they won't promote the sale of salt. They will tell you how bad it is, how it will corrode your pool. Our new pool was made specifically for salt.

In 6 years of having salt pools I have only seen green water once, and that totally my fault for not adding salt and turning the system on soon enough in the season. 24 hours on superchlorinate and we were back to normal.

Talk to experienced pool owners, like myself, and I don't think you will hear a lot of negative comments about salt.
    Last edited by jblizzle; 08-24-2014 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Removed link in violation of forum rules

3. Back To Top    #3

A saltwater pool is a chlorine pool. All the same chemicals are present in both. All the SWG does is generate the chlorine for you instead of you having to manually add it everyday. Either are perfectly safe if you maintain the chemistry correctly.

The "harmful" chemicals that could be created are CC (combined chlorine) and only might result if you are not maintaining a high enough FC level (which is a function of your CYA) in either type of pool.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In my opinion a salt pool does not dehydrate your skin or hair, and actually feels better than a chlorine pool, which IMO does dehydrate
    Firstly, let's be clear. A salt water pool IS a chlorine pool. Repeat: A Salt pool/salt water pool IS a chlorine pool. Rather than using liquid, solid, or granular chlorine products, the chlorine is made/generated with the SWG/SWCG/SaltWaterChlorineGenerator.

Most folks that use a SWG love them. The water does feel softer and silkier.

If you do a search, you will find lots of threads with pros and cons of a salt pool.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

5. Back To Top    #5

What they all said ^^^^^^
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

I would never have a pool without a SWG.

7. Back To Top    #7

Correct, a salt pool is a chlorine pool, I apologize for that. But there is difference in how your skin and hair feel after the swim, the smell of your clothes. If pool stores really wanted to sell them, they would set one up and let everyone take a dip.

8. Back To Top    #8

You can add salt to any pool and have that feeling even without a SWG. Borates supposedly make the water feel even better.

If you smelled a lot of chlorine, then that pool was not balanced well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by TWong1200 View Post
    I would never have a pool without a SWG.
    I agree with this. If you decide to install a SWG just be aware that it can be very hard on some of the soft flagstones we get here in Texas. Be sure you seal, and re-seal periodically, any natural stone near the pool. I would avoid flagstone altogether.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I converted to a SWG this spring and it is great. Lovely clear water, low maintenance, nice feel on the skin. Well worth it.
    18k vinyl IGP, Sand Filter, EasyTouch Control Sys, Pentair Intelliflo, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, Rheem Heat Pump.

11. Back To Top    #11

Compared to typical liquid chlorine pools, the only people harmed by SWG pools, are the people who make their money by selling pool chemicals.

I can't imagine owning a pool without a SWG.
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

12. Back To Top    #12

Agree, the SWG was the most impactful addition to my build
    28000 gallon IG pool, 3.5ft - 8ft deep, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Interior, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Quad DE 100 filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVRS, Whisperflo 3hp (water features), A&A Max in floor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch 8 Automation, Screenlogic II, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair Intellichem with acid injection via stennar pump, 9'x7' spa with Infiniti edge

13. Back To Top    #13

Wow, thanks for all the responses. Yes, I have read the pool school thoroughly. I was referring to an article I had read that talked about the chlorine produced by SWG's is more concentrated and more toxic than store-bought chlorine. Is this BS or what? Is the chlorine produced identical?

14. Back To Top    #14

It's all the same
    28000 gallon IG pool, 3.5ft - 8ft deep, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Interior, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Quad DE 100 filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVRS, Whisperflo 3hp (water features), A&A Max in floor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch 8 Automation, Screenlogic II, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair Intellichem with acid injection via stennar pump, 9'x7' spa with Infiniti edge

15. Back To Top    #15

You don't want to swim inside the SWG cell. the chlorine is pretty concentrated there. But yes, it is BS.

14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

16. Back To Top    #16

My PB gave me every reason under the sun as to why I did not want a SWG. "The walls are steel and the salt will eat them" the cells have to be replaced". It is expensive to buy". Blah blah blah. All malarkey.
    The bottom line is those that say you don't want them either A) don't understand them and how they work or B) sell chlorine tabs and floc.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

17. Back To Top    #17

I can't believe choosing between SWG and old fashioned manual addition of chlorine was such a huge decision for me....it really is a no brainer...go salt.

Saturday I went in to my pool supple store (amazing local business, so friendly and so NOT chain business). The guys in there know me by name and they asked, "where have you been all summer?" The answer of course was, "my pool has been great!" Pool business see very little of their salt customers.
    28,000 IG, gunite, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG with SPA,
    Intellichlor/VS Pentair
    Norman, OK

18. Back To Top    #18

I was referring to an article I had read that talked about the chlorine produced by SWG's is more concentrated and more toxic than store-bought chlorine.
    What article? It is impossible to refute some phantom article.

Is this BS or what?
    Yes. Total BS.

Is the chlorine produced identical?
    No. An SWG is better since it provides a more constant level of FC. This allows you to use a lower target FC since you don't have the daily fluctuations and you never accidentally forget to add chlorine.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

19. Back To Top    #19

article I had read that talked about the chlorine produced by SWG's is more concentrated
    I maintain a lower FC with my salt pool than a similarly balanced regular pool would require. So there's the end of that argument.

and more toxic than store-bought chlorine.
    Chlorine is chlorine. It is an element on the periodic chart. There aren't different versions. It isn't like the SWG makes some weird isotope of chlorine that isn't present in a bottle of bleach.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

20. Back To Top    #20

I like the idea of a SWG, but there are corrosion issues you should plan for. Specifically, make sure the diving board platform and basketball set-ups are polymer or stainless. We chlorinate with bleach, but our friends have basically the same pool and have a SWG. Their basketball set-up lasted one year, but the replacement was made for salt water and they have not seen other issues. I am still on the fence about any long-term issues on all of the aluminum coping associated with an auto-cover, but would like to not lug the bleach bottles as well
    20x44 IG vinyl. Intelliflo, Pentair Cartridge Filter (420ft^2), Raypac 336K, Kreepy Krauly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast