Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wait time after adding chemicals -

1. Back To Top    #1

wait time after adding chemicals -

How safe is it for the kiddos to swim with the following levels? I will be releasing water and refilling to lower the cyanuric level, but what about the meantime?
    FC 13.2
    CC .6
    pH 7.6
    TA 300ppm
    Cyn 200 (or higher --because black dot disapeared well before the 100 mark on the Taylor K2600 Test!)
    (Also, not testing for Cal Hardness because pool is vinyl)
    Pool: 2822 Gallon INTEX Above Ground vinyl Krystal Clear Model 637R Filter Pump
    Salt Water System: Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS7110
    Installed May 2014
    Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD Chlorine Test System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: wait time after adding chemicals -

good morning!

It is safe to swim up to shock levels according to your Chlorine/CYA relationship chart.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

We say it is safe if the FC is greater than the minimum and less than the shock FC level as listed in the FC/CYA Chart. AND you can see the bottom of the pool.

You should do the CYA dilution test to find out what your CYA actually is (see the Extended Test Instructions). If your CYA is VERY VERY high, then your current FC level may not even by high enough since the minimum FC is 7ppm for a CYA of 100ppm
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

If your CYA level would be 200, your min FC level is 15 and you should target around 23.
    Without a doubt do the dilution test to get a better idea where it's at and get lowered. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Jackie
    Last edited by jblizzle; 08-24-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Removed reference to posts that I split
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Aloha. I've had many months of nearly care-free pool maintenance because of the information on the Pool School site. So, mahalo for all the tips! Today, however, it seems like my pool went through a transformation since I added borax for the first time a few days ago. I thought I'd better get some advice before trying to re-balance again. Here are the surprising readings from my Taylor FAS-DPD test kit (which has been a reliable tool up until now!):

FA 0--and adding more --lots more-- R-0870 did not make the sample turn pink; I finally stopped
    CC --zero, too, of course
    pH --less than the lowest 7.0 reading and a bright lime green in color
    TA --5 drops of R008 turned it red immediately instead of the green expected
    Cyn -- circa 50
    Borate -- 30 ppm (LaMotte insta-test)

Pool Math told me to add bleach and stabilizer, but it seems that there are too many unknowns with these results for me to balance in the right way. I'll wait to hear from you before proceeding.
    Installed May 2014

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Has your kit been exposed to moisture? How is the water actually looking?

8. Back To Top    #8

borax raises the pH, it shouldnt have gone down because of the borax, and requires muriatic acid to lower the pH as part of the process
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I wouldn't raise the CYA until you get the Ph and FC up in their proper ranges and get consistent test results. If you need to SLAM it's easier and cheaper to do it with a 50 CYA level than the 80 or so you want to have with the SWG. Once your Ph is 7.2-7.6 and you have added enough chlorine to achieve an FC of 5-6ppm for CYA of 50 then I'd test for CC. Just my 2 cents.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

10. Back To Top    #10

No, my kit is stored in a cool, dry place. The water looks clear. It was a surprise to get such drastic readings when all seems okay.
    Installed May 2014

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

In the Industry

I would suggest testing again, your results after putting in borax do not make sense...somethings funny

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

FA 0--and adding more --lots more-- R-0870 did not make the sample turn pink; I finally stopped
    This doesn't seem like you are doing the test correctly or understand the nature of chlorine. If you add chlorine to a pool and then test shortly after that, you should ALWAYS be able to turn the solution pink.

How much are you adding? How are you deciding that is the right amount?

Have you looked at the videos of how the tests are performed?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

14. Back To Top    #14

Aloha: Five days later--and by following the bleach/muriatic acid/borax recommendations of Pool Math--I've gotten a great reading:

FA = 3.8
    pH = 7.5
    TA = 90
    Cyn = 60
    Bro = 80

I think the circumstances particular to Hilo, Hawai'i caused the odd no-chlorine readings. We get 200+ inches of rain a year and I often have to drain the pool following a heavy rain or it will create a waterfall that overflows on its own. The pool, no doubt, was full of Hawaiian rain and did not have any trace of the water I used to fill it at the start. In any case, I'll continue using Pool School and Pool Math as I have since beginning in August, knowing that I can rely on the advice to keep things balance. Mahalo for your thoughts along the way..The grandchildren are about to arrive for a jump in the pool on this 80 degree Saturday ....Jackie
    Installed May 2014

15. Back To Top    #15

Looks good. Nice job !
    You know how to maintain it and if you need any help you know where to come !😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Way to go. Time to

17. Back To Top    #17

Nice job!!!!!!!!
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

18. Back To Top    #18

Jackie,

In your signature you listed your pool as "2822 Gallon INTEX" so I presume it is like this 15' x 36" Easy Set swimming pool. That's a small water volume so can be difficult to manage properly (though still easier than a spa).

When you wrote that "added borax for the first time a few days ago", did you add both 20 Mule Team Borax and Muriatic Acid? I suspect you overdid it with the acid amount which would explain the very low pH (TA turning red right away means pH is 4.5 or lower). I don't think the Hawaii rain is the cause for this unless it replaced nearly all the water and is very acidic rain. At Hilo Airport it rains on average 127" per year and given the 36" pool depth I doubt that a single storm's rain would be enough to replace the water -- to overflow it, yes, but not to get rid of all the TA.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

19. Back To Top    #19

I will consider your advice here. Yes, I followed the Pool School borax/muriatic formula when first adding. True, it is the small pool you mention, but I live a ways from the airportin Waiakea-uka where we have gotten 20" of rain in one day! (See this interesting article from January '14: http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/loca...infall-records) Problem is, when we have a storm, we'll often see days upon days of heavy showers. We don't always break records, but the wet stuff keeps-on-comin', sometimes up to a week! We do love the moisture, but it proved a challenge this time around, in terms of balancing the pool.

I'll try to stay on top of Pool Math AND the considerations you mention. By the way, my daughter says that most folks get a pet as they head toward retirement, but she points out that I decided on a pool instead! Tee hee.....Mahalo for all the TLC.........Jackie
    Installed May 2014

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

That's funny because I thought one of the members had something like that in their signature but when I tried to find it, ... can't remember who and didn't see it.

It was something about a pool being like a pet. You may not play with it every day but you still have to care for it !! And it's true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast