Pool Vacuum and Pump Problem

Jun 19, 2014
San Jacinto CA
I have an Intex Ultra Frame 22ft AGP, I bought an automatic pool vacuum, the Zodiac Barracuda Ranger to be exact. This is my first year owning a pool so I'm learning the hard way about pool maintenance and equipment.

Has anyone used this pool cleaner with this pool? I am getting air running through the system even though I have submerged all the hoses and bled the system.

If I have the wrong pump I would like to know as well and any recommendations. The vacuum didn't come with a connector to the intex skimmer so I may fear I purchased the wrong vacuum, I was holding it to the coupling by hand trying to see if it would work.

Manufacture says works with ALL AGP and Vinyl Pools, but not Intex soft sided pools. I took that to mean the Easy-Set and not Ultra Frame bc I read reviews of people with Ultra Frame pools using it, but maybe I was wrong.

Any advice or help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Travis

I have this cleaner. It is the best of the three I have had over the years. We have a short piece of tubing slightly smaller than the intex blue connector pushed in the connector. It allows us to hook the cleaner right up. I do have a 1 hp pump/sand filter. The other cleaners were iffy at best with the tiny pumps that came with the pools. I used the same combo with an easy set I had for 8 years. I got my money's worth out of that pool lol.

Just read over your post again. I fill my hose with water at the return before connecting it. Air burbles out in a rush and the ranger floats to the top then back down. I keep the end of the hose under water until attached. We also had to stop up the hole at the valve. Little caps were supposed to come with the pool for that purpose. We couldn't find them so stopped up the hole with a piece of garbage bag.

0824141149.jpg

Here is the intex skimmer cap, attached to the Ranger Pool Vacuum skimmer attachment, to the flowmeter thing, attached to hose attachment.

I used this setup today, I don't think the skimmer attachment will stay in the skimmer cap, only when suction is on.

The problem I am having is that after a minute air starts coming out of the return and my intex cartridge filter pump fills with air.

I am beginning to think this was not made for the pool even though others say they have used this pump on ultra frame pool.

Issue with that is your not getting all the air out of the hose before hooking it up to vacuum. You need to put the entire hose and vacuum into the water, and submerge it, getting all the air out. If there is air in the hose, it will give the pump an airlock.

With the pump running, I connect the vacuum head and drop it into the pool. Then, I take the other end of the hose and hold it to the return until the head pops to the surface with water shooting outet. Prior to learning this method on this forum, getting the air out the first time was hit or miss. This method NEVER fails.

My fix. 2inch piece of plastic tubing from the farm supply store. Take the blue part with you. It is a tight fit.

The way it looks connected.

Small piece of garbage bag to plug the hole so it wouldn't suck air. Remember to fill the hose with the return.

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll have to give all these methods a shot. I thought I was getting all the air out by putting each tube into the water vertically then connecting it.

As for the garbage bag solution, if I am not hearing air or a hiss, would I still assume air is entering through that part of the system?

Thanks

Travis

If you are getting air, put your finger over that hole. If everything works with your finger there and gets air when it is off, plug the hole. Lots of little weird things to do huh? Hope this helps. I love my ranger. It is out there cleaning now while I am in my chair.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update, I think I have got the Ranger working. It seems to take a pretty consistent pattern around the pool though not sure if it's going to give me the clean pool I am looking for, but my intex pump gets a little bit of air in the system and I want to know if this is normal?

Shouldn't have any air. Sometimes my leaf canister causes air. I hear it but the lid and hose seem to be on tight. It goes away.. I have improved the pattern by taking out a length so hose or turning the hose where it plugs in. Never perfect, but close most of the time. I have to hand guide it from the side or get in with it to get the elusive spots. I usually take it out in the morning before I get ready.for work so guide it from the side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.