Overwhelmed!

Aug 24, 2014
Newhall, ca
Hi,

We began construction the beginning of August after interviewing 9 contractors. The initial excavation went well. We live in an area that requires soils testing. Our shallow end (3.5 feet) had to be dug down until bedrock was found. They found it at 9.5 feet! Three truckloads of cement later the shallow end was back to the original depth of 3.5 feet. The extra dirt removal along with the concrete came in at an additional 6K. This week the rebar, electrical and plumbing were completed and passed inspection. I was relived that everything was back on track. Here comes the overwhelming part.....in the middle of the night we had a pipe burst in the backyard and water and dirt ran into the pool and put about 5 feet of water in the deep end. The pipe had nothing to do with the construction being done. Contractor not at fault. Just a fluke accident. A sub pump was brought in a 95 percent of the water is gone. We are told that there needs to be a 3 inch clearance between the rebar and the base of the pool for the gunite to be shot. A crew will have to come in with garden shovels and remove the mud. My concern is what if the rebar is now rusty? Will it need to be replaced too? How much will that costs! We did notice prior to the flood that the rebar looked to have rust on it here and there before it was installed. Can't the rust be scrapped, cleaned without having to be replaced?

Rebar gets rusty and, while it am not an expert, I do not think you need to worry. Rebar is used outside in virtually every construction project and almost always has some rust. Once covered in concrete, it will be fine.

+1 on that, nearly all rebar is rusty by the time concrete is poured. No worries there.

let's put it this way...i wouldn't use any rebar in any of my projects that DIDN'T have a little rust on it :lol:

no worries, all rebar rusts...will have zero affect (effect?) on integrity. :cheers:

for the price of this advice, we charge pictures from the build of your pool :) !!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.