Right tubing for DIY Solar Collector

Cheaper, easier and more efficient to buy the pool panels designed for solar heating. Check eBay. Under $100 for 40sqft. You would need almost 500 feet of 1" tube to give the same area and it would not be as efficient.

Jason, I see that you are running 500 sq ft of heliocol panels on an 18k gallon pool. seems like overkill especially in Arizona. definitely not criticizing, just wondering, are that many necessary to keep the pool temp where you like it?
I am looking into a heliocol system as well. i think i can get 400 sq ft w/ everything needed to self assemble for around $3k. does that seem reasonable?
I am guessing my pool is in the neighborhood of 20k gallons.(still working on it)

That is what I could easily fit on the roof. Solar does not run much in the summer since the water is already warm. The more panels the more heat I can add in the spring and fall. Note I don't use a cover, so I lose a lot of heat to evaporation.

I got my panels used off Craigslist. Installed myself for under $1500.

I have absolutely lovely strips between the pool and side and rear fences. The rear is the South, and the fence is 6' opaque, so it would not get hit until about noon.
The side strip, OTOH, is just begging for a stand-alone sump-pump water from pool to collector. then a hose to return heated water.
It's just too narrow to have a 4' wide collector AND a footpath - hence the DIY question - I suppose I could put 3 of the 1' wide "patch panels" and string them together - but I suspect the flow would be erratic, and the "One kit required for each install" stuff would get out of hand.

Yes, I have a nice south-facing roof where the original collectors were installed - over a VERY cheap roof/ I have the remains of water stains to prove they left that roof on WAY too long.
Guess the quality of the current roof? (Hint: foreclosure).

If I do put up a roof-mount Heliocol or such, I'd use Al box beams and lag screws (have Stainless on hand) with Al angle to brace to upper.

At either 8' or 10' lengths, would it be possible to slavage them intact (there are no vents, flues, etc on this surface) when this roof is replaced? The pump size is the same as original, and rated for 80 gph - again, 40' from pool in PVC. I suspect the roof solar (would have been copper tubing in a glazed box in '88, right?) and distance (friction loss) is responsible for the over-sized pump.

Jason - do you have numbers on the temp rise you get under various sun conditions? I was a bit taken aback by 500 sq ft in Tucsan - I had no idea such area was required. Relieved to hear that it is personal preferences and not exactly required.

I don't have specific numbers. Right now I think it only runs for about an hour in the morning to be back at nearly 90. In the spring I can pick up about 6 degrees in a day, but lose about 5 degrees over night without a cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.